Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theshopginger
    • Dec 2016

Help identifying solar cell type and output

Hey everyone, so I acquired what I believe to be a just a single solar cell, but I am unsure of the type, age, or really anything about it. I am used to seeing typical fragile crystalline solar cells, but new to anything like this cell. This cell is an ovonic solar cell, is about 12" x 12", very thin and relatively flexible. The backing is a thin metal sheet. There are no labels on the cell. It also uses copper for the tabbing. I would like to use this cell for something, but unsure of what to expect or even identifying it besides the name on the name plate. This cell is currently in a picture frame that looks to have come out of someones office as a display piece. There are also no solder spots on the back and the copper tabbing touches the outside metal edge. How would you go about connecting a positive and a negative lead to this thing? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if I have left out any details, I'm still relatively new to solar cells.

Thank you!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello theshopginger and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

First off that looks like a solar panel made up of individual thin film type solar cells configured in 6 rows.

It looks like it was mounted in that frame as a display of some kind and not for actual use which is probably why there aren't any "tabs" to wire to.

An added thought is that if it is from Ovonic, then it is similar to the Uni-Solar panels they made and the company is long gone out of business
    Last edited by SunEagle; 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

It is thin film, and printed circuit (amorphous silicon) on a flexible substrate. Sun light destroys them in 5 years or less. Really not much else to know about them other than avoid them. As SE said the company, unisolar went bankrupt years ago. They sold panels for 5 years, and got out of biz before customers could file warranty claims. Most used by scum bag investors building commercial solar power plants using public funding and selling soon after going into service for a profit leaving the new owners holding the empty bag,
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...