question about DIY Solar Garden Light Battery Charge 4 Solar Cell

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just dont understand you say

Example if you have a 2500 mah cell .25 amps or higher.

if I use a 800 mah battery the max current can only be 0,08? or can I do .25 amps.

Whats the highest current a battery can handle is the only question i want to know. I dont understand where you get c/10 or c/5 or c/20.. I dont understand where you get these numbers.

You know pretend im like a 13year old getting into electronics for first time. You kinda have to talk alot dumber for me to understand.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by GoldCobra
      I just dont understand you say

Example if you have a 2500 mah cell .25 amps or higher.

if I use a 800 mah battery the max current can only be 0,08? or can I do .25 amps.

Whats the highest current a battery can handle is the only question i want to know. I dont understand where you get c/10 or c/5 or c/20.. I dont understand where you get these numbers.

You know pretend im like a 13year old getting into electronics for first time. You kinda have to talk alot dumber for me to understand.
      The C/x formula is a basic rule of thumb for battery charging.

The C = the battery Ah rating

The X is the charging hours which can equal a number between 8 and 12 for FLA type batteries. Where 10 is the middle of those numbers and the most practical charging factor.

The lower the number the higher the charging amps or the faster the battery gets charged. For some battery chemistries the X can be as low as 4.

So for an 800mah battery (ie. 0.800Ah) the middle charging rate would be 1/10 of that or 0.800Ah/10hr = 0.08Amps.

And for a 2500mah battery (ie. 2.5Ah) the middle charging rate would be 2.5Ah / 10hr = 0.25amps.

Most batteries will cook if you use a charging current that is too high (ie. 0.25amps for a 0.800Ah) which would calculate to 0.800Ah / .25amps = 3.2hr which is a fast charge rate and could hurt the battery.

Comment

Great Thank you Sun Eagle. I understand this now. I can see clearly now the rain has gone.

So if I have a 3.7v 9800mAH 18650. I can charge this 0.98Amps?
        Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Great Thank you Sun Eagle. I understand this now. I can see clearly now the rain has gone.

Well using 0.98 amps should work for that battery chemistry.You should be able to use a little more amps but I am not sure how much before it hurts it.

I would think using C/8 will also work which calculates to 9.8Ah / 8hr ~ 1.2amps.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Lithium Ion and NiMh batteries can be charged much faster than C/10. C/10 is for lead acid and those rules do not apply to Lithium Ion and NiMh. NiMh and most Lithium Ion batteries can safely and effectively be charged at 1C aka C/1 means the exact same thing. Some even fast like 2 to 5C or 10 to 30 minute charge rate. So a 18650 9800 mah battery can be be charged at 9.8 amps = 9800 ma. However do not go away thinking that means you should. in fact for you means is do not try it. C/10 is safe for most any battery type and is a generic specification. 10 hours charge time is good enough for most applications except solar. With Solar you only have 3 to 4 Sun Hours in a day to work with.

FWIW even for a lot of very experienced engineers do not have the knowledge to design a battery charger. They just have the knowledge in their tool box to pick it up and learn in a day or two to figure it out. If you know nothing about batteries or electronics will take a few years of formal education and experience to pick it up.

Think abou this. Someday in the future we all drive EV's. You are driving to Grandma's house 500 miles away. Your EV only has a range of 250 miles so you will need to stop and recharge along the way at the gas station which is now a large High Voltage Sub Station. Are you going to put with a 10 hours wait to recharge your 400 volt 100 AH battery to pump in 40 Kwh of power? Hel not you are not going to put up with it. 30 minutes is all you are going to put up with while you go in to the station where it is safe, grab a bite to eat, and drain the lizard. FWIW 40 Kwh is about as much energy as a very large luxury home uses in 24 hours in a hot climate like Houston TX in summer time. Pumping 40 Kwh in 30 minutes or less in a EV can and has been done, but extremely dangerous and cannot be done safely by Joe Public car driver. It will take a trained operator and removing all occupants far away if a problem should happen, and it will happen. Just one loose connection or mistake and you have BOOM and great balls of fire.
            Last edited by Sunking; 12-28-2016, 01:57 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

I will keep learning and keep asking questions till I find solutions. And always doing experiments. and DIY

I take look at some schematics. particularly solar lighting. I know I can do better product. I just need to learn ratings of each component and such. Like ohms. I dont know what this is. or uF. these things important. I just need to learn the numbers and calculations.

I show you The wind turbine I recently made. This time it actually turns good.

Im very happy to be learning of micro wind turbines. perhaps i can also make wind turbing also connected to solar. Hybrid model.

This turbine gets alittle of .30v

I plan to do bit bigger and better turbines soon. with gear ratio involved as this tiny motor does not have.
              I have schematic ideas that i will apply to make usb charger or battery charge.

Attached Files

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

This thread reminds me of a movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" (1980) where a bush pilot tosses an empty soda bottle out of a plane, and it is later found in the outback.

In my way of thinking, you need to know what the parts are & do, before you can start plugging them together. There are many simple, basic electrical tutorials on the internet which is a good way to start. What's an Ohm, Volt, Amp & watt ? Until you grasp those ideas, you are wiring together a time bomb, but you don't even know it's going to be a bomb.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

i know Volt, Amp & watt. i read through the electric books i have. Many of it I read over and over and still cant remember the more technical things becuase there is alot hard to grasp sometimes. Year ago I didnt know what anything was.

For my micro wind turbine design. Will be making bigger and better ones. And hopefully soon testing them with a better micro wind turbine motor. Lookin forward these http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-36V-24V-...oAAOSweW5Van74

So Am I allowed to post Hybrid - Solar And Wind DIY? Im thinking of a small wind turbine with a decent array of solar.

I have to try and understand how makes power supply from motor power supply from solar merge together to create 1 source of power. Ive been thinking of this.. I dunno you run positive negative together with solar and wind? I dont have a clue. How would you make it hybrid. solar and wind power.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

i know Volt, Amp & watt. i read through the electric books i have. Many of it I read over and over and still cant remember the more technical things becuase there is alot hard to grasp sometimes. Year ago I didnt know what anything was.

For my micro wind turbine design. Will be making bigger and better ones. And hopefully soon testing them with a better micro wind turbine motor. Lookin forward these http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-36V-24V-...oAAOSweW5Van74

So Am I allowed to post Hybrid - Solar And Wind DIY? Im thinking of a small wind turbine with a decent array of solar.

I have to try and understand how makes power supply from motor power supply from solar merge together to create 1 source of power. Ive been thinking of this.. I dunno you run positive negative together with solar and wind? I dont have a clue. How would you make it hybrid. solar and wind power.
                    Those wind turbines you found seem to have a very low current out in the mA range. You will need a lot of them to generate anything useful. You will also need to be in a place that has a pretty constant wind and a lot of space otherwise most small turbines just sit and do not spin fast enough to provide any output. You will also need some type of controller to pass on the output power of the wind generator to properly charge a battery. Getting any constant output would require a very constant wind input.

I am not trying to stop you building those things. Just trying to point out some of the basic barriers to make them be productive and economical.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

i know Volt, Amp & watt. i read through the electric books i have. .
                      No sir you do not grasp any of it. If you understood Volt, Amp, and Watt, you would know Ohm personally. Ohm's Law is 12 very simple 5th grade math formulas any student learns day 1 and never forgets. If you knew them then you would know exactly what all those funny letters are like u, f, p, K, M, G, T, and a dozen more. You could not even grasp C/x and somehow missed .8/10 = .08 and got 80. You missed it by 3 decimal point or a factor of 1000. That kind of mistake will get you killed. Electricity does not tolerate mistakes nor does it give a damn about you.

No sir you are a child playing with matches and gasoline pretending you know what you are doing. Everyone here except you knows you are going to get burned and possibly killed. I am not going to help you anymore, I want no part of it. You are a year into this by you own admission and have not even grasped day 1 fundamental of Ohm's Law which happens to be what defines Volt, Amp, Watt, and Ohm. Sorry but if you were a student in a electrical class, you would have been expelled the first week because at the end of the first 5 days you would be 4 days behind hopelessly lost and disrupting the class. You are going to get yourself hurt or killed. Or even worse hurt of kill someone else.

MODS please close this thread to protect the Forum from liability issues.
                      Last edited by Sunking; 12-29-2016, 12:13 PM.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Sunking you have a poor attitude and showman ship. Im well aware of what you say around these forums. Im not pleased by what you say sometimes
                        It often offends and hurts people you are aware of this tho.

so be it close the thread- as the man says close the thread.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

We close threads when they become dangerous. GoldCobra, we've told you many times what you are doing is dangerous, and you still don't have a clue. You don't understand the terminology and when this gear burns your house or your neighbors house down, you were warned. You are like a 2 year old with a loaded pistol, and you have avoided finding the trigger so far.
                          And we'll still keep telling you that you have bad ideas, and point you toward places with better ideas - like http://scoraigwind.com/

. Electric Selfie Stick.jpg

Last edited by Mike90250; 12-29-2016, 03:19 PM.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Like a AAA and AA is going to kill me? That its Dangerous??? please. I can see working with 12Volt battery being dangerous. But a AAA battery will not explode my brains and cause me to die. This is perfectly okay experiments.

Im not doing anything with High voltage or high amps here. Were talking about simple. DIY AAA- AA batteries.

Cry me River old timers. Jesus

Like Working in the Oil and Gas industry is more Dangerous. Tell me I shouldnt Work in that Industry either?
                            Why wont you old timers grow **** up grow some balls

Had I known I would be bitched out from a bunch of 60 year old babies I would of never POST MY DIY in the DIY FORUMS
                            Infact whats the point of HAVING DIY? DIY IS DANGEROUS PERIOID IS IT NOT

babies. Bunch of babies. instead of crying the moon is blue. should be foucisin on yes Exactly Mike. Helping me guiding me through. Thats your job. Not to provide dismay at what Im try ro accomplish

Its not like Im going to have my Wind and Solar devices out when im not around them under supervision.
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2016, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Like a AAA and AA is going to kill me? That its Dangerous??? please. .
                              No one is going to help you here. You have clearly demonstrated you do not have the capacity to understand the most simple basic fundamental taught to students day 1 hour 1. By your own admission you do not know Ohm's Law after a year of studying and experiments. If you did know, you would know a AAA battery can kill in the hands of either someone who knows what they are doing , or does not know what they are doing like trying to charge it to fast.

Here is the clue you will not understand. A AA battery contains 12,950 joules of energy. Enough to blow you head off. Here is a way you might understand Ask a friend to get in his car and accelerate to 30 mph and let off the gas and run your ass over. It will be the last thing you ever see and learn.

Like Mike said you are like a two year old with a loaded gun and have yet to discover the trigger. When you do discover it, you will look down the barrel or point it at Mom to see what happens when you pull the trigger. If you are lucky you point it at Mom.
                              Last edited by Sunking; 12-29-2016, 05:36 PM.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

Some folks you just can't reach. Since he seems to not be getting what he needs here, maybe it's time for the OP to self separate.

Comment

Working...