first time diy. no electricity experience

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jakubman1
    • Dec 2016

They are not generating what i hoped the two home made ones generate 8.5 amps combined tops i think. Old cells .

Is it ok to connect all 3 panels together going to the mppt even though they renogy panel is wayy diffrent than my 2 homemade ones?

so NO grounding rods for me?

Im lost in the safety off all this.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jakubman1
      They are not generating what i hoped the two home made ones generate 8.5 amps combined tops i think. Old cells .

Is it ok to connect all 3 panels together going to the mppt even though they renogy panel is wayy diffrent than my 2 homemade ones?

so NO grounding rods for me?

Im lost in the safety off all this.

What do the rods do?

You have a whole lot more than safety issues. Sorry I cannot help you.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• jakubman1
        • Dec 2016

Well i know the rods ground stuff but do i run the bare copper wire underground all the way to the shed where the mppt and other stuff is?

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

They are not generating what I hoped. The two home made ones generate 8.5 amps
          combined tops I think. Old cells. Is it ok to connect all 3 panels together going to the mppt even though the renogy
          panel is way diffrent than my 2 homemade ones?
          The rule is, panels of similar Imp may be connected in series; panels of similar Vmp may be connected in parallel.

I thought your panels used 3" X 6" cells, which peak about 4A, so 2 in parallel might do 8A. I would run a load test
          on the home home brew panels to check for any weak spots. If you have good sun measure the shorted current.
          Then using ohms law construct a dummy load drawing near half that current at 80% of Vmp. When connected
          with the same sun, voltage across the dummy load should head toward 80% or 90% of V open circuit. If its
          much less, there may be faults, like weak cells or connections.

65', check your line losses. These will have a big impact on optimizing delivered energy. Bruce Roe
          Last edited by bcroe; 02-18-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• jakubman1
            • Dec 2016

Yes there are weak link but im not too worried about that right now. What i do need to know is how do i ground my electronic equipment in the shed. Also im looking into getting nickel iron batteries.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

..... im looking into getting nickel iron batteries.
              Nope, hold off till you have gone through a cheap set of lead acid batteries. For NiFe battteries, you need 2x the capacity, a 200ah bank should scale up to a 400ah NiFe bank to account for the internal resistance.

= PNPmacnab] $15 for the basic MPPT controller electronics that is all home built.
              Wow, got any details on that you could share

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
                Wow, got any details on that you could share
                You know better than that Mike, PNPmacnab is a fraud. He will come back and tell you he built it to use his 1200 watt homemade panel on a car battery.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• jakubman1
                  • Dec 2016

Can I wire this wind turbine kit in with my existing 2 homemade panels that get 36v combined at full sun ? Just something to play around with

Comment

Working...