Anyone know where to get Tempered Glass 4 Solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know where to get Tempered Glass 4 Solar

I can only find one Source on Ebay "American Solar Supply" Who Sell DIY Tempered Glass.

Does anyone know of any other contacts

Thanks

You will have to order the tempered glass in the size and thickness you want, since it can't be cut to size. Stores might do this
    and charge a big markup. I went to the local industrial glass place and got a decent deal. I made a $300 order and made
    sure my transportation was in order to pick it up.

Its pretty hard to justify shipping glass. After I finished attempting DIY panels there were still a few completed frames
    around, but they will probably go to scrap. pVfr1.JPG PVfr5.JPG

Comment

And then there's the question of iron content. Usually, glass for solar applications, both thermal and PV has a low iron content to increase normal (perpendicular) transmittance to something around 0.90+. Additionally, the glass for PV applications is pretty thin making it more fragile. Then, there's the ARC (anti reflection coating) question.

Comment

Okay.

Anyone know if they Sell Tempered Glass in Canada? Surely some Glass need replacement, And perhaps local stores will know?
        If anyone has Contacts'

JPM it could be low iron. I know American Solar Supply on Ebay its Low Iron.
        Last edited by GoldCobra; 10-26-2016, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCobra View Post
          Okay.

Anyone know if they Sell Tempered Glass in Canada? Surely some Glass need replacement, And perhaps local stores will know?
          If anyone has Contacts'

JPM it could be low iron. I know American Solar Supply on Ebay its Low Iron.
          What do you want to do with this glass - PV, or thermal application ?

Comment

PV.

Comment

PV.
              I suspect you'll have more challenges than expected even if you do find a source of 3 or 4 mm thickness low iron glass that is transportable and get it in one piece.

Education or experiment ? Not trying to rain on your parade, but If your doing this to save $$, you're on a fool's errand.

Comment

education, expirement, assembly, repair & maintenance etc. I know its much cheaper to build yourself. Its all about finding the right suppliers and will make few phone calls to local companies in canada. A fools errand is exactly what I expect.
                Enough of your Opinions on this matter. Im here to ask for Contacts. if you know someone. Let me know dont waste time with opinions

Makes no sense JPM WHy im here in DIY Solar Forum and you constantly try to discourage Folks from DIY there own Panels.

You may call me a Fool. But im no Bigger fool than you perhaps.
                Last edited by GoldCobra; 10-27-2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

education, expirement, assembly, repair & maintenance etc. I know its much cheaper to build yourself. Its all about finding the right suppliers and will make few phone calls to local companies in canada. A fools errand is exactly what I expect.
                  Enough of your Opinions on this matter. Im here to ask for Contacts. if you know someone. Let me know dont waste time with opinions

Makes no sense JPM WHy im here in DIY Solar Forum and you constantly try to discourage Folks from DIY there own Panels.

You may call me a Fool. But im no Bigger fool than you perhaps.
                  I think I called it a fool's errand. But, since you bring it up, I'm the biggest fool I know of. Thanx for the warning. Have a nice life.

Comment

Okay I will Have a Nice Life since you bring this up also. What you want me to Say?

Comment

If you already have a curing oven and vacuum ability, you may be able to learn and make some usable panels. Otherwise don't expect them to last a few years. DIY panels are for learning. you will not likely make 25yr 80% panels for less than current market prices. but if you wish to learn, learn you certainly will.

Comment

How about buying cheap grid tie panels and parting them out and using the glass? It's just the right size for a DIY panel project, and if you're really careful with the disassembly you could end up with a lot of usable extras, like frame material, maybe even the cells themselves.
                        Last edited by sdold; 10-27-2016, 01:32 PM. Reason: Changed font

Comment

Yes I know Logan. And you also missed Slygard also as a option for encapsulating cells.
                          Im going to contact local glass shops and see what they may have for tempered glass. If I can get just clear glass, or low iron. Who knows.
                          I just know I need something local.
                          I contacted "That Solar Place" in the city. There is no manufacture in Alberta. More than likely have to contact like Rynorgy in California or something. Or a Ontario Company.

Anybody Know of any chinese Companies that sell Tempered glass
                          Last edited by GoldCobra; 10-27-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X