Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TeknoMage
    • Oct 2016

First Solar Build - Need Question Answered

I have decided to put together my first solar build. I have put the Amazon shopping list together and I have one question about it.

Here is the list. https://amzn.com/w/YCDGV81O30PZ

Will I be able to run that inverter using that build to charge small devices like phones, laptops and portable speakers?
    I understand that I can use the USB port on the charge controller but I have some devices that will need the power outlet like laptops and portable speakers.

If you see anything else wrong or that could be done better, let me know.
    Last edited by TeknoMage; 10-17-2016, 03:39 AM.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Based on that list you have a 10w panel, 2 x 7Ah battery, 10amp CC and 150watt inverter.

That is a pretty small system at (12v x 14Ah = 168wh ) which can easily be drained and not recharged with only that 10 watt panel which only has an Imp = 0.62amps.

Laptops and speakers may easily draw more that 100% of that battery system.

Before you purchase anything you really need to know how many watt hours a day you will use to charge your electronics. Then you size your batter system and solar panel wattage.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

You bought something and no clue if it will work? I can tell you right now it will not work.

150 watt Inverter requires at least 12 volt 75 to 100 AH battery. A 12 volt 75 to 100 AH battery requires at least a 75 to 100 watt Panel. You are not even close to a working system. You have not even made the down payment, and cannot even use what you bought. You bought yourself a very expensive and very slow cell phone charger. If it last 5 years, will generate about 10 cents worth of electricity. So how much did that 10-cents worth of electricity cost you?
      Last edited by Sunking; 10-17-2016, 11:34 AM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• TeknoMage
        • Oct 2016

I haven't purchased anything yet. That is why I am here. I want to make sure it will work before purchasing, so calm down. I didn't realize people were so hostile here. I will go elsewhere for help.

Comment

• joerossjr
          joerossjr commented
          Editing a comment
          There are a lot of people that come here with bad attitudes and want to argue with what I consider the solar experts. They also want to do things that can get themselves killed... so with a little humility and patience, you will get the answers to our questions. Welcome to the forums!

Basically, it looks like all your parts are too small except for the inverter. Like SunEagle said, figure out how much power you are going to need and build your system around that. There's a little math involved but it's "Third grade math" and very simple to figure out once you get what you are trying to do.

Have you figured out how many watt/hours you will need? It's basically this: (Device 1 watts* hours used) + (device 2 watts * hours used) etc... add them all up, and then you need batteries to support that load. The type of battery varies greatly, so i won't even try to explain that part yet. Get back to us with your watt/hours. (Laptop is going to be your solar killer.)
      • Logan5
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2013

everything in that list is junk.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by TeknoMage
          I haven't purchased anything yet. That is why I am here. I want to make sure it will work before purchasing, so calm down. I didn't realize people were so hostile here. I will go elsewhere for help.
          Well do not let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

But if you want to learn, hang around and ask questions. No one is going to sugar coat any thing for you around here so you do not get Thin Skin Rash. You get the facts and no PC is aloud here.

So here is how we know you are completely lost. There is a relationship or better yet a Window that equipment must fit in to be matched up to work with each other

Let's start with the Inverter. A 150 watt Inverter requires a minimum 12 volt 75 AH Battery. You are no where close to that at 15 AH. It would work for a few minutes, but beyond that your battery voltage would drop to low for the Inverter to operate despite still having a useful charge left in it.

A 12 volt 75 AH battery requires a minimum 100 watt panel with 10 amp controller. Again you are now where close to that.

So if you paid attention, I just told you what it takes to run a 150 watt Inverter and will do exactly what you want. No it is your turn to go out and find a 100 watt panel, 10 amp charge Controller, and a good deep cycle 75 to 100 AH battery. It comes with a price tag of roughly $400 to $500 to generate 10 cents of electricity per month. In two or three years you replace the $200 battery.

Is it worth it or not?
          That is the question you asked. So is it worth $400 to you?

You got your answer.
          Last edited by Sunking; 10-17-2016, 06:14 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Try Making a new List. This is interesting

Comment

Working...