Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NassiM
    • Aug 2016

Newbie: Encapsulation for Solar UAV DIY

I bought some C60 sunpower solar cells to use in a project of a Solar UAV, but I'm having some problems in deciding which encapsulation to choose. It needs to be light and malleable to fit the wing but also needs to protect the array from oxidation and water. Any suggestions?
    Thank you!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Encapsulation may make the UAV very heavy. There are some nice materials out there that will cover the surface of a foam type RC plane which seals it as well as reinforces it.

I can't remember what I used for mine but it came from Ritewing and the RC model was a Zephyr II.

By the way. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Comment

• NassiM
      • Aug 2016

Thank you!
      I saw someone using transparent duct tape in the place of the usual glass. If I use EVA film and then the duct tape for the encapsulation, would I have enough protection?
      At least, this would make it much lighter.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by NassiM
        Thank you!
        I saw someone using transparent duct tape in the place of the usual glass. If I use EVA film and then the duct tape for the encapsulation, would I have enough protection?
        At least, this would make it much lighter.
        It is hard to say.

The laminate film I was talking about comes in a roll and is clear. I can't remember if it is 3 mill thick or more. It is applied with a hot iron and pretty much molds to the the surface of the wing sealing it against moisture and providing sort of a skin to protect the foam structure of the wing. It might be enough to protect your pv cells.

There have been a number of people that have build RC planes with solar cells added. They have used all types of building materials.

One was from Europe that had covered the entire upper surface of a very large (72' wing span) glider. The cells were supposed to provide additional battery charging and extend the flight time but since it was a glider it was hard to calculate how much more the pv cells helped keep it in the air.

Comment

Working...