• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatyana
    • Aug 2016

I need heeelp with my first diy solar panel

Hi everyone,
    I am about to make my first diy pannel using 60 of these solar cells-

desired watts 250. I made some research on how to put together my solar panel but I have a real difficulty in understanding the other electronics i need( to be able to use the electricity my panel produces) like charge controller, batteries and ect.Which of them I need and how to connect them to the panel. And if someone explains that to me I`ll be really grateful.
    P.S. sorry if I have any grammar/ spelling errors, English is not my mother tongue
    Greetings from Bulgaria!
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The PV panel produces a Voltage and Amperage. With even a small amount of light, it can reach full voltage, but only with intense noontime light, can it produce full amps. However, with just a very small load, in cloudy weather, the voltage can collapse and the panel is nearly useless. There are special MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) circuits that can adjust the load on the PV panel, to prevent a voltage collapse. (Look up MPPT on wikipedia for more info on how that works and what the Volt/Amp (IV) curve of a PV panel is)
    After a MPPT controller regulates the power from the panel, it is used to recharge the battery. [ MPPT Charge Controller] The battery then can directly power 12V loads (if you are using a 12V battery) or can be used to power an Inverter to produce common AC voltage.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

Tatyana - I'd be interested in what the availability and pricing is on solar PV panels in your area.
      I do not want to throw cold water on a learning experience of building your own solar panel, but anymore, the unmatched quality of manufactured panels produced at pricing less than what you can buy the materials makes it hard to justify making them yourself.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...