X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidsuzuki256
    • Jul 2015

Fried Charge Controller?

Hello,

I have a small solar system built for backyard water pump and I realized today that the charge controller is only giving 2.0 volts to the battery.

The open circuit voltage of the 50w panel reaches a maximum of 9.2 v in a sunny day and that is not good enough to charge the 12v 2AH SLA battery. I had to get a DC to DC booster to bring up the voltage to 24 volts and that is what's going in the charge controller. I realized today the output of charge controller going to battery is only 2 volts. I brought the charge controller in the house and connected it to a 12v dc adapter and I received the same output of 2.0 volts going to the battery from the charge controller. The charge controller is a fully capable of handling the voltage and amps going in.

I am not sure whether the charge controller has been fried or not ...

Regards,

David T. Suzuki

• Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

David if you see 2 volts output from your controller is not a Controller problem. It means your batteries are at 2 volts and were dead a long time ago.

Your charge controller may be damaged, I do not know nor do I care. What I do know for certain is if your charge controller is reading 2 volts output with the batteries connected as they should be, you are not reading your CC output, you are reading your very dead battery voltage.
    Last edited by Sunking; 08-07-2016, 11:15 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• davidsuzuki256
      • Jul 2015

Thanks for the response.

I forgot to mention that i measured the voltage with a voltmeter. I doubt it's battery issue since voltmeter read 11.3 v when i checked the battery. I may have to get another controller.

Comment

Working...