Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John_mcgarvie
    • Jun 2016

Hello from the newb.

Hello im new to the solar scene. I just made my first 100 watt panel out of 3x6 .5v. Im hooked just seeing what this little window can do. Well now i want to put 10 of them on the roof.Well a little background. I can build anything but my electrical knowledge is sparse. So i will be seeking help there.and im considering a sun following system. But again electrical. Well any thoughts would be good.
    Im going to read some posts now
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by John_mcgarvie
    Hello im new to the solar scene. I just made my first 100 watt panel out of 3x6 .5v. Im hooked just seeing what this little window can do. Well now i want to put 10 of them on the roof.Well a little background. I can build anything but my electrical knowledge is sparse. So i will be seeking help there.and im considering a sun following system. But again electrical. Well any thoughts would be good. Im going to read some posts now
    That's 25 cells? I'd put that one out immediately and see how it holds up to the elements. If it is still doing well when the 10th one
    is built, your design is a winner. I'm guessing you have 25 cells; not enough to charge a 12V battery by themselves. What is the
    intended load? Bruce Roe

Comment

• John_mcgarvie
      • Jun 2016

Well my ultimate goal is to spin that meter backwards.during the day enuff to cancel the load at night out. Am i dreaming? I used 36 pannels and they are all inline.they are 0.5v,1.8w,3.6a. And to get a good reading on what im getting i grabed the old meter changed the 9v and one of the metal prongs came off. So i dont know what im getting.out of the unit other than what the math said.
      64.8w,129.6a,18v. I just dont want to build more the same size if it wont work for my needs

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

The short answer is that it won't work for your needs. Sorry. The longer answer will be revealed as you learn more about what you are trying to accomplish.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• John_mcgarvie
          • Jun 2016

Well i could settle for running the window unit in my frog.lets start there. It is where this all started. It is a 10000 btu 110v i want to run it for free 6-8 hours out of the day.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Well i could settle for running the window unit in my frog.lets start there. It is where this all started. It is a
            10000 btu 110v i want to run it for free 6-8 hours out of the day.
            That's what I decided to do. So after trying a few DIY panels, I bought a lot of big panels and a grid tie inverter, and a permit from the PoCo. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Well i could settle for running the window unit in my frog.lets start there. It is where this all started. It is a 10000 btu 110v i want to run it for free 6-8 hours out of the day.
              Unfortunately you will not get 6 to 8 hours a day of enough sunlight to run that AC unit. You will also find out that most DIY panels will have an early death but will certainly not have the same generation specifications which would make it hard to match up panels on the same system.

A DIY panel is great way to learn about solar technology and can run some small loads for a time. Trying to save money by using solar to run your appliances requires a lot more investment by going with a grid tie system that is approved by your POCO. Unfortunately DIY panels will never be approved due to the lack of having a UL listing.

Comment

Working...