X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seza
    • Aug 2013

Double glazing for encapsulating solar cells

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been discussed here ...
    I am in the UK, double glazing windows and doors are now wide spread here and the technology to make sealed units is well established,
    me thinking aloud ... why can we not adapt such simpler methods to encapsulate solar cells, it will be lot cheaper, quicker and longer lasting???

I was at a sealed unit factory yesterday, they demo'ed the way they make the unit: two sheets of glass on top of each other with spacer in between,
    the unit is sealed with hot melt then two holes are drilled to fill it with Argon gas and that is it,

I am aware that the solar cells [poly/mono 156x156mm] are thin something like 200 to 300micrometer, surely - the cells can be tabbed the usual way and placed in between the glass sheets and sealed as above.
    Obviously the hot melt material will be different to cope with higher temperatures and other out door harsh elements.

can someone in the knowhow of either industries tell me why this won't work?

thanks
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

What would be the point with PV cells?

Windows are made double panel to decrease heat loss. You what PV cells to lose heat as they are more efficient at cooler temps.

Solar cells are encapsulated between a layer of glass on top and a plastic or poly layer on the bottom. With no air space left no need for argon or any other gas. No need for it either as it's added as an insulator to increase the r-value of the window/

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by seza

I am aware that the solar cells [poly/mono 156x156mm] are thin something like 200 to 300micrometer, surely - the cells can be
      tabbed the usual way and placed in between the glass sheets and sealed as above.
      Obviously the hot melt material will be different to cope with higher temperatures and other out door harsh elements.
      For openers, just what is going to keep the cells of my 6 X 12 array in their proper vertical position? The whole mess will start
      sliding down hill and short out and/or break. If you glue them to one side first, you are starting to use accepted practice.
      Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Goodby spammer

Originally posted by NicoleSmith
        Double glazed products are designed to be compatible with most conventional glazing systems for façades and skylights. To the conventional roles of providing privacy and protection from rain and noise,zzzzz and new factors are becoming increasingly important. Such windows will offer an new option for houses looking to break the barrier.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...