Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use for self-adhesive DuPont Tedlar film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use for self-adhesive DuPont Tedlar film?

I keep seeing references to DuPont Tedlar film being used in DIY PV solar panel construction. I have a roll of 1.0 mil grey pigmented genuine Dupont Tedlar film that has a 1.5 mil coating of pressure-sensitive adhesive on one side with a release liner backing. The film is 54" wide and normally was to be sliced into smaller 2" wide rolls for sealing the seams of waterproof weather covers for the military radomes. Is this of any value to the DIY crowd here? I'm using it for lots of other outdoor projects as a UV-protective covering and always wondered if this film would be useful for more than just my projects. I doubt I'll ever build my own panels to find out. I'm more of a LED geek than anything else.

Thanks
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Not useful for solar panel, the pressure adhesive will not be vapor tight, and will leak moisture vapor into the panel it's supposed to protect.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Not useful for solar panel, the pressure adhesive will not be vapor tight, and will leak moisture vapor into the panel it's supposed to protect.
      Not sure how EVA doesn't have the same issue but I've never built panels so what do I know?

Radome cover seams sealed with this adhesive film (as a 2" seam tape) pass ASTM vapor transmission tests at less then 0.02 perms but with all the work required to build you own cells I would not want to experiment either.

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: I was thinking (dangerous thing) if someone wanted they could face the other side out and EVA bond to the non-adhesive side of the Tedlar. That side is treated to be receptive to ink and printing so the EVA should bond to it just like any other Tedlar film.
      Last edited by azdave; 05-23-2016, 10:28 AM.
      Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...
      X