X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
    Some of my highest productions (10-15% OVER STC DC ratings) have been during light rain. The panels are clean, they are cold from the rain - and when the sun comes out momentarily, the clouds cause lensing that increases the insolation to the panels themselves.
    I would agree that your system can over produce when it is cold and the light is magnified by the water on them. Unfortunately unless is rains at night or very early morning those rain clouds will just cause all kinds of issues for the sunlight to get to your panels.

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

I should have qualified that to refer to rain heavy enough that water on the panels might have any measurable impact on their light collection.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
        I would agree that your system can over produce when it is cold and the light is magnified by the water on them. Unfortunately unless is rains at night or very early morning those rain clouds will just cause all kinds of issues for the sunlight to get to your panels.
        Yeah, the overproduction only lasted about ten minutes - then the panels warmed up and production dropped. It did give me a much better perspective on the kind of design margins you need for solar power systems.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jflorey2
          Yeah, the overproduction only lasted about ten minutes - then the panels warmed up and production dropped. It did give me a much better perspective on the kind of design margins you need for solar power systems.
          And best to measure under quasi steady state conditions due to warmup (delta T.)/production drop time being f(P.O.A. irradiance, wind vector, amb. temp., thermal time constant of the array), all going into a heat/energy balance on the array.

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

In theory the temp of the panel could go down as you start to draw power from it.
            An open circuited or short circuited panel has to dissipate all of the incoming solar energy but a loaded panel can send some away on the wires.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
              In theory the temp of the panel could go down as you start to draw power from it.
              An open circuited or short circuited panel has to dissipate all of the incoming solar energy but a loaded panel can send some away on the wires.
              Yup.

Comment

Working...