Pathway Garden Solar DIY Array

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathway Garden Solar DIY Array

I bought 36 Garden Pathway Solar Lights.
    I deconstructed each of them and made a mess lol.
    I ripped off all the plastic around the solar cell and only left the backing and frame around it. Pretty much hot glue'd them all together for strong panel.

Each cell max is 2.49 volts.
    So 36 Cells = 89.6volts give or take.
    In the morning I plan to buy another 30 lights and deconstruct them again and make this into a larger array just for sh!t's and giggles.

Will get some copper and connect them all later when I order some.

for $1.25 for garden lamp cant go wrong. What you guys think. Go wild!
    Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2016, 05:06 AM.

Added 30 more or so. Now it should be up to 174.3Volts Max output

I need more. And may take a hour trip to the next town with dollar store to clean them out of there pathway solar lamps

Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2016, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

(mod note) This thread appears just fine, has had 22 views. I can not make viewers respond to it.

As to the hack and glue PV array, I'm glad it's small enough to handle with one person, You may find cell are micro-cracking and will fail.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I really doubt the micro cracking tho.. Cus it is pretty thick glass 3/16 thick and seems strong and could probably withstand heat pretty well. I bought another 60 or so today. I will glue the cells tomorrow.
        Thank god for watching "The Colony" tv show on youtube while I do this. The show is pretty sweet, Survivors trying to DIY everything they can. Love there solar tracking system

incase you were wondering what im taking apart heres a pic. Im sure you all seen these before.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2016, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Hey guys Im running into some problems.....
          Or its not turning out the way I figured it would

I connected two cells out to test the voltage.
          so 1 cells produced 2.60Volts.
          So I connected 2 cells together and it read 2.30 Volts.
          Why is this?
          I thought once i connected them parallel that it would produce over 5 Volts?

What did I do wrong.. I dont get it..

Comment

Nevermind I got the stupid thing to work. Was funny how i got negative and positive mixed up. Thanks youtube Bot

Comment

Working...