success with 6x6 cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• success with 6x6 cells

Hi folks, have completed 2nd panel using 6x6" cells, first had 40 cells and was 20V max, this one is 60 cells and 30v max, so has the possibility to generate 240w.

the cells come from ebay, for the glass and frames using 4mm float glass, toughened, non tinted glass sliding doors. once the cells are layed onto the glass am using sylgard to encapsulate them, 2 jars for the large panel, thinned out with xylene to get the coverage and get it to get under the cells better.

pictures of the process can be seen at http://rifraf.dyndns.org/solar/ , intend to make a tutorial up afterwards, the sylgard takes about 3 days to set with the added xylene but the results look good, testing next weekend once i finish the wiring.
    Attached Files

Welcome Rifraf and thanks for sharing.

Feel free to host your photos here on the forum by creating an album as well.

When you get around to writing your tutorial, be sure to post it here too!

See you around.

Comment

Hi Rifraf - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk - the place to teach, learn and share!

Russ
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

thanks for the welcome, finally got to put first panel in sun today, was 4.30pm though and small clouds meant not great conditions, but did get upto 7.2A @ 13.8V, was 23.6V without a load, 40 cell panel. so am happy to have a 100w home made panel, estimated peak is more than that but not complaining, means that big panel in first post should still do about 150w in the same late afternoon conditions.

the sylgard is setting well on the new panel, touch dry on outside but inside big pockets of it would still likely goop out if i moved it upright at the moment so will wait a day or two more, was a big area and only used the 2 jars so had to thin it out some.

Comment

Thanks for the update RifRaf!

Looking good and interesting for all.

Russ
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I am searching for a possibility to build a solar panel at home. I only find E-books that you need to pay for. Do you know if there are any free offers ? I mean something really simple.

Comment

Originally posted by viralshah View Post
              I am searching for a possibility to build a solar panel at home. I only find E-books that you need to pay for. Do you know if there are any free offers ? I mean something really simple.
              This would be the place ! There are many posts here about DIY panels, some with great pictures. It does help to know a bit about electricity and you need to be able to solder with a thermal controlled soldering iron.

specific forum here: Do It Yourself Solar Panels

You might consider starting small, just a dozen cells, before you buy a 400 cell kit.

Good luck.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

hi all

Hi all,
                fantastic site here, lots of information some great link there i am hoping to have some cells soon for my own panel. practice on broken cells first.

Comment

Congratulations!

Originally posted by RifRaf View Post
                  Hi folks, have completed 2nd panel using 6x6" cells, first had 40 cells and was 20V max, this one is 60 cells and 30v max, so has the possibility to generate 240w.

the cells come from ebay, for the glass and frames using 4mm float glass, toughened, non tinted glass sliding doors. once the cells are layed onto the glass am using sylgard to encapsulate them, 2 jars for the large panel, thinned out with xylene to get the coverage and get it to get under the cells better.

pictures of the process can be seen at http://rifraf.dyndns.org/solar/ , intend to make a tutorial up afterwards, the sylgard takes about 3 days to set with the added xylene but the results look good, testing next weekend once i finish the wiring.[ATTACH=CONFIG]467[/ATTACH]
                  I just bought some 6 x 6 and looking forward to learn from experience members.

Comment

Hotbend you are talking to a 2 year old post ghost.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                    X