No announcement yet.

parabolic solar trough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread needs a caution for those wanting to learn more about heat transfer in all its forms, Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics in any way those disciplines may be applicable to solar energy applications: Don't look here for much of anything that makes sense as a practical solar application. Great example of why it's better to start w/ the basics. I'd suggest some homework on thermal engineering followed by a parabolic mirror and a small Sterling cycle engine fired by solar energy collected at the mirror's focal point. Mine worked great - didn't produce much useful output, but I learned a lot and had fun. Start small and get the basic book stuff down first.

Comment

Yea wood is a poor building matériel, a trough involves tracking of the sun, so you need a cleaner setup than wood, metal preferably aluminum will work better for a project. Wood is fine for experimentation, but heavy and bulky and unsightly. also I remember with my past projects, everything in the trough has to be cleaned regularly. over time the aluminum sheeting will oxidize turn flat and dull. you will need rubbing compound to bring it back. I have a tracking circuit here somewhere, it didn't work for my set up. depending on your climate, 500' of black garden irrigation tubing spiraled under glass may work better. Here in Florida, 500' of 1/2" tubing in the attic is enough for warm to even hot showers during the summer.
      4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

Whenever I want to explore different physical matters like... Light bouncing off certain angles and what not.
        A great fun easy to learn tool is physics engine like algodoo http://www.algodoo.com/
        The program is free. And it gives you tools like a laser pointer to shine on objects and see how the reflected surface ray.
        Just shooting that out there incase someones interested.
        I enjoy using it, especially when it comes to parabolic stuff
        Sadly the program dosnt do multiple reflective surfaces but it does give you one reflective surface. Perhaps there is a way to do more reflective surfaces still playing with the program.

Here is pic of just a simple render
        Attached Files
        Last edited by GoldCobra; 01-21-2016, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
          I suspect you would have better luck making PV from scrap material than making a steam engine/generator from scrap material. Here's one way to do it:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...-from-scratch/

But like I said, if you are going to do it just for fun, go for it. There are worse hobbies.
          I have to disagree with that. Cost for that instructable panel was 30 USD and was able to generate 25 mV. I can build the collector for approximately the same price. I agree that I have to put some extra money to build the turbine and generator. This costed me so far some 15 USD (using dead HDDs for Tesla turbine) And I am sure I will be able to generate way more power than the DIY PV (I was boiling water in 2 min. Will post the results later). But still I am grateful that you shared that instructable with me. I was not aware that it's even possible. It's great and for sure I will give it a try.
          Last edited by joji; 01-26-2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X