Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blitzgreen
    • Sep 2015

Hello some basic circuit advice please

Im new to learning about Solar and circuits i have a basic understanding.
    Basically i bought a 30000mah solar battery bank which was rubbish 4 leds would contantly flash for non charge or in series when charging. I opened it and it only had 2 5000mah 3.7v li on batteries

I want to make a circuit where the solar cell will charge the battery and power a 3 to 4.5 volt motor in the day time and have the battery power the motor as much as possible through the night. I understand i need some sort of resistor to stop the battery from sending power back to the solar cell but would 10000mah power a small motor for 12+ hours? Is there anything else i need?
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

The resistor you mention is actually a blocking diode.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• PNjunction
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Blitzgreen
      Is there anything else i need?
      To be brutally honest, you'll need more than just junk solar toy hardware. One or more of those li-ion batteries are toast already, and if you don't know how to measure or differentiate between good and bad, just stop.

The first step is to use a multimeter or motor specification to find out how much current the motor draws. Then you'll multiply that by the time in hours you intend to operate as a first step.

Up front, to do this *right* and without using benchtop trash, it is going to cost you. If you want to learn more about solar, then the canonical way is to use a lead-acid battery, charge controller, and solar panel matched to your power and solar-insolation-hour needs.

Comment

• Blitzgreen
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by PNjunction
        To be brutally honest, you'll need more than just junk solar toy hardware. One or more of those li-ion batteries are toast already, and if you don't know how to measure or differentiate between good and bad, just stop.

The first step is to use a multimeter or motor specification to find out how much current the motor draws. Then you'll multiply that by the time in hours you intend to operate as a first step.

Up front, to do this *right* and without using benchtop trash, it is going to cost you. If you want to learn more about solar, then the canonical way is to use a lead-acid battery, charge controller, and solar panel matched to your power and solar-insolation-hour needs.
        I just wanted to know how to make the circuit without it causing a fire lol like i said my knowledge is limited and i dont really want a whole course in electronics just for this school project, i dont get why you have to be "brutally honest" why so serious?

I thought this would be no problem for an experienced solar energy community i guess i will have to look elsewhere sorry for wasting your time.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

.... i dont get why you have to be "brutally honest" why so serious?.....

Because this is serious stuff. Sealed Li batteries can and have burned and exploded. It appears that one of the pair is toast already. You do not present us with enough technical information to diagnose the problem in it's entirety, and the safest thing is to stop.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Blitzgreen
            • Sep 2015

Can anyone actually read on this forum?

I didnt ask for a solution to the falling of the power bank because its obvious the little charge from the solar cell was gobbled up by the led charge indication. I only charged it once with sun light it has not damaged either battery.

I just wanted a safe circuit without trailing hours of website after website for what i was looking for. This forum is a joke you have problem reading simple english or a bunch of trolls either way i feel sorry for the majority of you

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Can anyone actually read on this forum?

I didnt ask for a solution to the falling of the power bank because its obvious the little charge from the solar cell was gobbled up by the led charge indication. I only charged it once with sun light it has not damaged either battery.

I just wanted a safe circuit without trailing hours of website after website for what i was looking for. This forum is a joke you have problem reading simple english or a bunch of trolls either way i feel sorry for the majority of you
              We can help you if you provide us with a little more detail on exactly what equipment you have and what you want to do with it.

When it comes to Lithium battery technology you are required to have a balance charger or a single cell can get over charged and fail. That might start a fire.

So please read this. If you want help then please provide everything you can about your hardware so that we can help you NOT GET HURT.

Comment

Working...