My Cell Testing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• longwolf
    replied
    As far as the testing went, most of the cells ranged between 0.510 and 0.527 volts.
    One came out at less than half a volt and won't be used.
    The amp readings ranged from 1.63 to 1.847 amps.
    I didn't expect high amp reads from the light box, just wanted to be able to find the weakest cells.

About 50 of the cells look perfect, the rest had chips and or blemishes.
    Four of the cells have cracks from 1/2 to 2-1/2 inches long.
    Luckily, the seller sent an bakers dozen worth of extra cells.
    The chips and blems didn't seem to have an effect on how well a cell read.

I am a bit worried.
    Today I used the cradle and tested one of the cells in the full noon time sun.
    It only read about 3.65 amps. I'm hoping that either the 'cradle' isn't making full contact or maybe I was using the wrong setting on the tester I got from harbor freight. Or maybe it's just cheap and doesn't read correctly.
    We'll see after I get a panel together.

Leave a comment:

• longwolf
    replied
    Next I bent the back/insulated section of wire so that when a cell is placed against it, the tabbing points should be above the points on the cradle.
    Then I drew two parallel lines, 3-1/16 of an inch apart, inside the bottom of the box. That's the distance between the two tabbing areas on the bottom of the cells.
    Tape was used to position the wire points at the correct distance and to hold the whole rig in place.

An alligator clip was used to hold one of the multi-meters leads to the wire cradle.
    I found that I could place the point of the other lead on one of the top side soldering strips and lay the butt of the probe on the 'frame' area I'd left while cutting the side off the box.
    Then I could take hands free readings of the meter.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• longwolf
    replied
    I wanted to have a consistent light source so the cells could be compared to each other and any weak ones weeded out.
    So next came the light box. I cut one side of the box off leaving about a 1-1/2 inch 'frame', to keep the box strong. Then cut a 3-1/4 by 3-1/4 hole in the top for the 1000 watt work light.
    I covered the top of the box with some aluminum foil to help protect it from the heat.

Note: you can also see more details of the wire cradle.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• longwolf
    started a topic My Cell Testing

My Cell Testing

So I received my order for 108 6x6 cells from eBay.
    It may be a couple more weeks before I can put a panel together, so I figured I'd better inspect and test the cells while I have a little time.
    I'd also rather find any bad ones before I add them to a string.

These cells are suppose to be 0.5 volts at 8 amps.

First I made a sort of wire cradle for the cells to sit on. The idea was to have spots for each of the tab soldering points, on the back of the cells, to sit on.
    I made a wire bending jig by drawing two parallel lines an inch apart on a board.
    The solder points on these cells are 2.3 centimeters apart, so I put in 6 nails, at that spacing, on the top row and 7 on the bottom row. Then I cut the heads off the nails.

Next I cut a piece of wire about 3 and a half feet long and stripped off all but about 8 inches of the insulation in the center of the wire.
    Then used the jig on each end of the wire.

Sorry about the quality of the images.
    I started with an cheap camera, then the forum only allows very small file uploads so I had to reduce them
    Attached Files
Working...