X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saulgonzalez
    • Sep 2013

19.7 volt panel problem

hi all, thanks for looking.

i am a newbee at solar cells, i made a 36 cell panel, 4 wats each with 0.534v per cell. at the time i finished i had 19.7 volt cell, the problem is that i have a 11 to 15 volt inverter and dont know what to do, either try to reduce the voltage or get another inverter. i did try to use the one that i have but after turning on the inverter the power starts to drop from 125 AC to almost 0 AC. at least thats what my tester tells me.

please help, should i try to reduce the voltage ? and how do i do that ???, or get a bigger inverter ?

thanks !!
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by saulgonzalez
    hi all, thanks for looking.

i am a newbee at solar cells, i made a 36 cell panel, 4 wats each with 0.534v per cell. at the time i finished i had 19.7 volt cell, the problem is that i have a 11 to 15 volt inverter and dont know what to do, either try to reduce the voltage or get another inverter. i did try to use the one that i have but after turning on the inverter the power starts to drop from 125 AC to almost 0 AC. at least thats what my tester tells me.

please help, should i try to reduce the voltage ? and how do i do that ???, or get a bigger inverter ?

thanks !!
    You cannot connect the panels to the inverter without using a battery. The inverter is not designed to take its power directly from a panel, since the panel cannot deliver as much peak current as the inverter needs.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

As inetdog states you will need a battery and a solar battery charger between your DIY panel and inverter. The inverter will not work unless it gets a constant voltage supply. Your panel won't do that.

Comment

• saulgonzalez
        • Sep 2013

this is my solution, since i dont whant to store power on a batery im using a grid tie inverter, the solar panel conects directly to this inverter and then to the power grid at home (or where ever you are using this), i got an inverter that works with DC 14-28v with an output AC 90-130v.

thanks alote for your help

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

this is my solution, since i dont whant to store power on a batery im using a grid tie inverter, the solar panel conects directly to this inverter and then to the power grid at home (or where ever you are using this), i got an inverter that works with DC 14-28v with an output AC 90-130v.

I do not know where you are living but most if not all of those "grid tie" type inverter that plug into your home receptacle is first dangerous and second illegal in the US. There have been instances where they either stop working or short out and go up in flames. There are dangerous to you and your family.

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

When you have a grid tie inverter, I have a serious problem how you can possibly have an output of 120 volts AC with no load and near zero volts with a load. The presence of the grid should keep the voltage stable whether the panels or inverter are producing at all.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...