Would Solar Panels be damaged from an inductive power unit (Magnetic fields)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jobergy
    • Aug 2013

Would Solar Panels be damaged from an inductive power unit (Magnetic fields)

Hello,

I am working on a project that is pretty compact and my design so far has an inductive power receiver behind it. Inductive power is also referred to wireless power. If not familiar this uses a magnetic field to provide power to the receiver. Would this in long term use, damage the solar panel?

First post however I am sure their will be more to come!

Best regards,
    Jobergy
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

No known issues as solar panels are passive devices. DC power is not affective by magnetic induced currents.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Jobergy
      Hello,

I am working on a project that is pretty compact and my design so far has an inductive power receiver behind it. Inductive power is also referred to wireless power. If not familiar this uses a magnetic field to provide power to the receiver.
      Inductive power, by definition uses the magnetic field and is limited in range because of that. Used for charging portable devices without a wired connection.
      Broadcast power, on the other hand, uses electromagnetic radiation (light, microwave, radio, etc.) and can be used at long range if you have directional antennas and do not mind horrible efficiency.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Jobergy
        • Aug 2013

Thanks for the reply!

Originally posted by Sunking
        No known issues as solar panels are passive devices. DC power is not affective by magnetic induced currents.
        Thank you Sunking!

From what little I know from solar panels and their internal components I did not think it would cause any issues... however I figured if someone had run into a problem that it would most likely be here.

Comment

• Jobergy
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
          Inductive power, by definition uses the magnetic field and is limited in range because of that. Used for charging portable devices without a wired connection.
          Broadcast power, on the other hand, uses electromagnetic radiation (light, microwave, radio, etc.) and can be used at long range if you have directional antennas and do not mind horrible efficiency.
          Thank you for the more in depth explanation of these two technologies. I wanted to use both for an electronic device I am currently designing for a class and wanted to be sure the two technologies AND their hardware would not interfere or damage each other over prolonged use, haven't seen any forums or anything talking about this issue or too many people even doing this so I figured I would talk to some experts

Comment

Working...