Clear Plastic (Suntuf) + encapulation (EVA film)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • domz
    • Aug 2013

Clear Plastic (Suntuf) + encapulation (EVA film)

Hello,

I have one newbie question.

1st. Can I use this clear plastic and encapulate it with EVA Film.

I want do it from the bottom up:

1. SunTuf plastic
    2. EVA film
    3. Solar Panels
    4. EVA Film
    5. Suntuf Plastic

I want to seal the suntuf plastic together with some sort of sealer. I don't want to use a wooden frame as I am going to put this on top of my greenhouse (where it doesn't block sun coming into my greenhouse).
    Attached Files
  • green
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2012

The SunTuf plastic is corrugated which will make it difficult to get a good seal without air pockets. You want to use something that is flat like a plexiglass or glass.

I do like your choice of store though

Comment

• domz
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by green
      The SunTuf plastic is corrugated which will make it difficult to get a good seal without air pockets. You want to use something that is flat like a plexiglass or glass.

I do like your choice of store though

Thanks I've been looking around my area (Vancouver) for plastic + glass cover and this seems cheap, 90% light transmission, resistant to heat, and won't yellow.

Only place I could find this was at home depot.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by domz
        Thanks I've been looking around my area (Vancouver) for plastic + glass cover and this seems cheap, 90% light transmission, resistant to heat, and won't yellow.

Only place I could find this was at home depot.
        Look at greenhouse suppliers pages - UV resist
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

There are only a few specialty plastics that are water vapor tight, Teflon, tedlar, and that's about it. If you can't keep the water vapor out, the cells will only last till they corrode, 1-3 years. EVA is not water vapor proof.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...