Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjames
    • Jul 2013

Low Cost Panels

$0.75 a watt. Some panels are 210, others 235, others 255. Efficiency of cells varying, I assume. These panels have no inverter, and not sure how they do the math. How many panel is a guy getting here?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by tjames
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2KW-255w-sol...item3cd410d9a5

$0.75 a watt. Some panels are 210, others 235, others 255. Efficiency of cells varying, I assume. These panels have no inverter, and not sure how they do the math. How many panel is a guy getting here?
    The add is a little misleading. Doing the math the 2kw system = about 8 of those 255 watt panels give or take. The price of $1500 comes to $0.75/watt. The thing is there are only 2 available. Is that 2 of the 255 watt panels or 2 sets of 8?

Best thing is to contact the seller to confirm what you are paying for and how much is the freight.

Also ask him why the nameplate info in not listed on the back of the panels that is shown in the pictures. That usually means someone is hiding something. Be careful.

Comment

• tjames
      • Jul 2013

Thank you. I thought it was a little misleading also.

What I don't know is how well they're built and sealed, etc. For $187. That's cheap. US made. Cool if they're quality. That ebay seller is referenced in other forums as a good guy

Is the glass really quality (laminated safety) or iron-free textured plate glass? (rhetorical question)

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by tjames
        Thank you. I thought it was a little misleading also.

What I don't know is how well they're built and sealed, etc. For $187. That's cheap. US made. Cool if they're quality. That ebay seller is referenced in other forums as a good guy

Is the glass really quality (laminated safety) or iron-free textured plate glass? (rhetorical question)
        I can't tell you what quality they are since he doesn't state who makes them, only that they are US made.

I did check the other items he is selling which include all type of panels and cables but also includes all types of individual solar cells. I don't particularly trust anyone that sells individual cells but he may be legit.

There is one panel that he sells that has "nameplate" showing it is manufactured by "MX Solar USA". I do not know about them but they may be a quality company.

You may want to do some research on that company.

Oh last bit of advice. Most people that buy on eBay end up giving the seller a great rating based on delivery of the item, not usually on how well it will last since they won't know until days after they have given their rating. Just be careful in believing that a 99.7% rating is true.

Comment

• tjames
          • Jul 2013

Thanks again- This guy was recommended by Oz, who has a well known site documenting his panel building and EVA vacuum lamination in an oven. All very successful and low tech. Anyway, that's why I was inclined to initially trust the fellow.

Comment

Working...