X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duffbeer911
    • Jul 2013

Advice for various DC-DC stepdown/up

Hi,
    I'm in design phase of a small solar project and looking for some advice powering various DC devices. Rather than having an inverter and going DC-AC-DC I'm thinking of just keeping everything DC. Only thing is I have a few different devices of varying voltage ... 5v, 9v, 12v, 24v. My batteries will be a 12v bank. Is there some kind of predesigned DC-DC bank or junction box of sorts? or should I look at making my own? Or, am I completely on the wrong track and this is not a good idea?

thanks in advance!
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by duffbeer911
    5v, 9v, 12v, 24v. My batteries will be a 12v bank. Is there some kind of predesigned DC-DC bank or junction box of sorts? or should I look at making my own? Or, am I completely on the wrong track and this is not a good idea?
    Not well thought out. To start there is no device on the market I know that can take 12 volts input and convert to all the voltages you have listed. It is possible to do it, but takes a fairly complex switch mode converter. A simpler approach is to use a 24 volt input, but you are stuck with the same problem of no known device to convert to all the voltages you have listed although much easier to convert down vs both down and up.

But here is the big challenge or I should say problem. Although a simple series voltage regulator only needs about 3 electronic components to build or about $10 bucks worth of parts is very inefficient. To convert down to 12 volts is 50% efficient meaning for every 2 watts input you only get 1 watt out and the other is burned off as heat. That is the good news. As you convert 24 down to 5 volts efficiency drops to 20% or 5 watts in and 1 watt out with a red hot converter making a space heater. Again a Switch Mode converter is better than 90% efficient but I seriously doubt you could design or build one unless you are an EE wiht Switch Mode Converter design experience

Now you know why most folks just use an inverter and the device AC charger. Makes things simple and somewhat efficient.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• duffbeer911
      • Jul 2013

Thanks for that very helpful reply. Wow, I did realise there would be loss and some heat but am surprised to find out it would be more lossy than using an inverter. But to me this is good news.... much easier to just buy an inverter and save the hassle.

Thanks

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

You can search Digikey and Newark (electronic component stores) and find individual DC-DD converters, in the voltage and wattage (amps) range you need, with about 90% efficiency. Adding all the extra parts needed for each converter, and you are looking at >$100 for each voltage needed. But it would be efficient. And time consuming to lay out a circuit board for each one, and build it up.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Dc-dc

These days lots of small size switchers are on Eb*y starting around $3. Build
          your system for the main load voltage, and use the above for other voltages.
          Most have a common negative input - output wire. I have built a lot of
          switchers, but don't bother any more for this small stuff. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...