X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Russ
    I didn

Comment

• It's real good to hear from you. I'm glad everything ia all right. I have slowed down on making the solar panels because of the weather right now. I'm thinking of melting metal in a homemade frunice. Nice to hear from you

Wayne

Comment

• @ ecusolar - what is the mfg / model # of the little solar pump you are using to circulate the water ?
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• That's a china pump Mike, here a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-12V-Electric-...item3a603d21a2
          What's the news on the grill Mike? Have some hams in the smoker today, hmmmmmmm.

ham.jpg

Comment

• good job

Comment

• How are the panels holding up

Just curious on how the panels are holding up
              --Ray
              8xSV-X-195-LV - 22.80 Voc - 18.30 Vmp - 10.66 Imp - 11.55 Isc
              2xUL Solar 85w - 21.9 Voc - 17.9 Vmp - 4.84 Imp - 5.17 Isc
              1xUL Solar 120w - 21.9 Voc - 18.1 Vmp - 6.6 Imp - 6.8 Isc
              7xHF 15w - 23.57 Voc - 17.5 Vmp - 0.86 Imp - 1.15 Isc
              MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
              Midnite Classic 150 Charge Controller
              700ah used Gel batteries
              Xantrex PROWatts 600 PSW Inverter
              HF 1000/2000 MSW Watt Inverter

Comment

• Hi Ray
                I'm living direct under the equator, you will not have any shadow at noon, that means that I don't need any inclination for the panels.

The porch aluminium roof of my distillery has only 3% inclination, the panels are just laying on top of it with some aluminium L screwed to the roof.

Each panel might have a weight of 30Kg, enough that a wind can't lift them. We never have strong winds but we have earthquakes and with a 7.1 they didn't move a cm.

I wouldn't suggest to do that in most other countries but here there is no more need.

Clima is tropical dry, that means that it doesn't rain at least 8 month with strong 7 hours sun most days.

Joe.

Comment

• I am new to the forums as well as DIY solar panels. I am very glad I took the time to read all 11 pages of your thread as it has some very good information. I just finished tabbing 36 of my 3x6 cells as well as put together my aluminum frame.

How is the alcohol production going?

Bobby

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob_man069 View Post

How is the alcohol production going?

Bobby
                    Pretty well Bobby, hick.

I'm happy that you like the forum, take in account that I have a favorietable clima which makes things really easy. In snow or heavy rain countries things would change a lot.

The country I'm living in is still in the Ice-age when it comes to alternative energy, a 200W panel cost about 1K USD here, beside of installation and other needed stuff like controllers, batteries etc.

I see the DIY as a bridge till there are companies which offer reasonable prices for a good industrial made system.

Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by ecusolar View Post
                      I'm still not sure what will be the best panel size:
                      1. the 3 by 12 cells
                      2. the 4 by 9 cells

Did someone read about that or have experience with both designs?

Actually I'm using 3 x 12 strings but need to use a cable to get pos and neg closed together.
                      A square design or nearly squared design will occupy the least surface area and the shortest length of frame with all four sides combined.Also you will have the + and - terminals closer to each other, shorter wire.

Comment

• Pardon?

Wire length I agree on but the perimeter part must be new math - square area is square area.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Originally posted by russ View Post
                          Pardon?

Wire length I agree on but the perimeter part must be new math - square area is square area.
                          Im sorry about the AREA thing , you're right, but the perimeter is correct. I'll give a more simple example. If you have 4 square sheets with 1 square meter area each, all sides 1 meter each. Arrange the four sheets in a staight row and you get 10meter of perimeter. Now arrange the sheets in two columns with 2 rows, you get 8 meter.

Comment

• You are correct!
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Solar triggle charger

I just finished to buid a small panel with 3x2 inch cells.

I used 6 x 6 rows config for that panel.

It's only used as a triggle charger for my genset battery.

The 10A controller I bought from a China seller, it's used normally as a solar street light controller, you can set the load to turn on at dark and turn off at dawn, also power save config like 6 hours full power and 2 hours at half power for instance. It's good to have some LED light at night closed to the genset, especially if grid power fails.

Was pretty cheap, hope it will last a while

If wanted I can make some pics.

Add: I forgot to mention that the panel supposed to be in the 20W range as it's a third of the normal 6x3 cells which make around 60W.
                              Last edited by ecusolar; 03-23-2011, 11:47 PM. Reason: Add

Comment

• Hello , it would be nice if you could take some pictures and show us. It's still cold here and I'm kind of slow getting back into making my panels. just waiting for the warm sun. I might even start a different project doing melting metel in my back yard.and learn how ot do some metel casting.

Comment

Working...
                                X