X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ecusolar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2009

I'm blocked

Folks, I'm totally blocked in my project, the duties have hundreds of people there to get their xmas present out and I'm not in the mood to wait 48 hours for getting my stuff out, will wait after that mess is over.

So I decided to get over to my water heating panel.

Today I got the fittings, 3/8" copper hose and some other stuff.

I'm still searching for the copper sheet I need as the base but there is still a chance and if I don't get it I will work with stainless steel sheet as I can get it easily but copper would be the better choice.

This is the draw how I will make it.

I hope that there will not come in some smart ass and tell me that a tiny water heating system like mine needs to be =designed= like a micro system to light 8 LED's lol.

I can make as much panels as I need if I want.
    Attached Files

Comment

• ecusolar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2009

Hi Jason

Why when I click on my posted thumpnail attach it still comes out like a passport photo size?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by ecusolar
        Hi Jason

Why when I click on my posted thumpnail attach it still comes out like a passport photo size?
        it's size is 457 x 251, and displays @100%
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2009

it looks real good Joe.

I wish I could make pictures like that. Wayne

Comment

• ecusolar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2009

Thanks Wayne, but it's made only in Paint.

The Coral Draw is too complicated yet for me.

I simulated this panels with 10m of 3/8 black water hose (pro irrigation hose)in plain sun and it made me +2.8 C each round, I mean from entry to exit.

It will be feeded by a 12V 6l/min hot water pump which works on only 6W and a special solar panel generating 12V/1A, the cells (2X3) are also on the way.

As heat collector tanks I will use 3 50l stainless steel beer barrels which will be isulated twice.

I'l upload pictures when ready but I still miss the coppersheet to start.

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25
            it looks real good Joe.

I wish I could make pictures like that. Wayne

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2009

Your project will be very interesting. It will be real nice to see it when you get done.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

If you know anyone that welds, you could use a aluminum back sheet, it wont last forever, but it woudl be a good proof of concept. Heck, get yourself 2 coils of aluminum refrigation tubeing, and weld/braze that to a alum back sheet. A spray mist of hi-temp flat BBQ black. All done.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ecusolar
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2009

Yeah Mike this isn't difficult at all, three years ago I used an old Chevi air condition radiator to heat up water in the fields, it took one can of black spray, some hoses and about an hour to go.

This will be a little more nice and maybe efficient.

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  If you know anyone that welds, you could use a aluminum back sheet, it wont last forever, but it woudl be a good proof of concept. Heck, get yourself 2 coils of aluminum refrigation tubeing, and weld/braze that to a alum back sheet. A spray mist of hi-temp flat BBQ black. All done.

Comment

• netttech
                    • Dec 2009

Ecosolar, your thumbnail picture of the panel is similiar to my idea/panel (mine failed, my standards). I'm not familiar with metric dimensions, but I think we are close to same size (5'x2'). I used 80 foot of copper tubing (rolled) 3 separate rolls, inter-connected., side-by-side. The copper tubing rested on aluminum facia (lits cheaper than copper sheet), painted black. My panel was enclosed (your picture appears to be open) with 1/2" foam on the back, with plexiglass glazing.

I don't know what you intend to use the hot water for. I wanted to use it for radiant heat. My panel failed to produced sustained 'hot enough' water, with a 1 gpm pump running. The hottest recorded temperature was 150 degrees though.

It will be interesting if your project works for you.

Good luck
                    Jeff
                    [url="http://solarpaneltalk.com/album.php?u=2072"]First panel 40 volts, 140+ watts[/url]

Comment

• ecusolar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Dec 2009

Hi Jeff, thanks for posting your experience.

I'll use the hot water only for the showers and would be fine with 150F (65.6C) about.

You will raise the temperature if you work with copper sheet and solder the tubes to it, the temp conduction will be much better.

Your panel is bigger (1 foot = 30.48 cm) but I plan to use two of them.

I always will have the advantage of the location right under the ecuator and the results will be better, also the outside temp almost never go below 25C (77F).

Joe

Originally posted by netttech
                      Ecosolar, your thumbnail picture of the panel is similiar to my idea/panel (mine failed, my standards). I'm not familiar with metric dimensions, but I think we are close to same size (5'x2'). I used 80 foot of copper tubing (rolled) 3 separate rolls, inter-connected., side-by-side. The copper tubing rested on aluminum facia (lits cheaper than copper sheet), painted black. My panel was enclosed (your picture appears to be open) with 1/2" foam on the back, with plexiglass glazing.

I don't know what you intend to use the hot water for. I wanted to use it for radiant heat. My panel failed to produced sustained 'hot enough' water, with a 1 gpm pump running. The hottest recorded temperature was 150 degrees though.

It will be interesting if your project works for you.

Good luck
                      Jeff

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

@nettech - 'with a 1 gpm pump running'

That comes to about 225 liters per hour - a good store bought panel (flat plate) may put out 200 liters per day of 120 deg F hot water in the winter with real good sun.

Your problem is a very big mismatch between supply and consumption.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Oct 2009

I hear that they have solar powered pumps also

Comment

• ecusolar
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Dec 2009

DC Pump

I'm using such one, it starts to work at 7V and needs only 6W (cost about 30$, shipping included), as I said, I'll make a special mini panel with 2x3 cells purchased from Fred480V.

Those cells aren't broken, they are laser cut.

The pump will not need a timer as it will work only during the day when we have enough light.

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25
                            I hear that they have solar powered pumps also
                            Attached Files

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2009

I thought some one would be doing that.

I have a picture for you. It's just outside my house today . 10 Degrees out.

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Oct 2009

I thought someone would have one . Thats the only way to go.

Comment

Working...