X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a portable iphone charger

Howdy,

I am new member.

I am working on a 5 Watt solar charger for my iphone that i could work on long haul flights and road trips. I ordered 12 3x6 solar panels from this seller on eBay for $17 that described them as "A" grade. I noticed that the cells i received where of two types.

http://www.shareimages.com/image.php...yVlqo-thsi.jpg

as you can see the one on the left have a bit matte/anti reflective finish and that 3D(ish) crystal look. While the one on the right is completely uniform color wise but has lines and bumps on it. Its coating has also come off at the high points of those lines so its got some silverish discolorations.

Since i am totally new to this solar scene i thought someone on here could help me out. Do you guys think that these cells are actually A grade ?

Thanks
    AD

Originally posted by AdwayD View Post
    Howdy,

I am new member.

I am working on a 5 Watt solar charger for my iphone that i could work on long haul flights and road trips. I ordered 12 3x6 solar panels from this seller on eBay for $17 that described them as "A" grade. I noticed that the cells i received where of two types.

http://www.shareimages.com/image.php...yVlqo-thsi.jpg

as you can see the one on the left have a bit matte/anti reflective finish and that 3D(ish) crystal look. While the one on the right is completely uniform color wise but has lines and bumps on it. Its coating has also come off at the high points of those lines so its got some silverish discolorations.

Since i am totally new to this solar scene i thought someone on here could help me out. Do you guys think that these cells are actually A grade ?

Thanks
    AD
    Unfortunately no.

Most of the people that sell individuals solar cells get them from the manufacturers at scrap costs because they have been rejected due to not meeting standards.

Comment

Originally posted by AdwayD View Post
      Do you guys think that these cells are actually A grade ?
      Looks like you have both polycrystaline and moncrystaline cells, so they may not match perfectly in current output when put in series.
      No way is the blemished one A grade, even if it still works perfectly. It is likely to degrade faster than an A cell of the same type.
      I do not think that there is an official industry standard for A, B, C grade so it is hard to prove that you were misled (euphemism for cheated).
      But basically if a commercial panel manufacturer would not buy it it cannot be A grade.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        Looks like you have both polycrystaline and moncrystaline cells, so they may not match perfectly in current output when put in series.
        No way is the blemished one A grade, even if it still works perfectly. It is likely to degrade faster than an A cell of the same type.
        I do not think that there is an official industry standard for A, B, C grade so it is hard to prove that you were misled (euphemism for cheated).
        But basically if a commercial panel manufacturer would not buy it it cannot be A grade.
        I guess then the left one might be poly and the right one's mono ?. The left one (poly) doesn't seem to have any visual defects, bumps or discolorations. its surface seems more even and smooth. While the other one has clear bumps (you can see that on the picture where the flash hits its surface).

I remember reading somewhere that the industry does have a standard for A,B & C. According to it A has to be completely free of any visual defects while B can have visual defects (Bumps, blemishes etc). C on the other hand are the ones that are chipped or split.

Now i'm confused whether to send them back to the seller (bought from ebay) or keep them. I paid $17 plus shipping for these 12. do you think they're worth keeping ? I'm actually still waiting on what the seller has to say about this.

Update: So i tested out the cells today for their voltage (Should have done that earlier) and here's the shocker: The cell that apparently looks monocrystalline doesn't give any output. So either its fake or dummy or simply unfinished cell. I'll be returning those cells asap. I gave eBay another shot and it backfired on my face.

Thanks ,
        AD

Comment

Working...
        X