X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by tjames
    That was very helpful! I read through the NEC guidelines, Article 690. Nowhere does it specify any testing standard or UL rating for the panels. Not that I could see. The closest reference to anything they want on the panel itself is:

Photovoltaic Module Module Marking
    • NEC 690.51
    • Modules shall be marked with Identification of terminal/lead polarity, maximum OCPD rating, and:
    1. Open-circuit voltage (VOC)
    2. Operating voltage (VMP)
    3. Maximum permissible system voltage
    4. Operating current (IMP)
    5. Short-circuit current (ISC)
    6. Maximum power

If there's something I'm missing, I'd be grateful for some clarification.
    The module marking is technically where UL comes into play. An Inspector will be looking to see what the information is concerning those 6 items as well as look to see who made those measurements and their certification as well as the approval seal.

Look I didn't write the Code but my job for the last 38 years requires me to follow it. You may get an Inspector that feels your panels meet his requirements or maybe not.

The first rule is that the Inspector is always right.

The second rule is even if the Inspector makes a mistake refer to rule 1.

Not that I agree with that but it is a matter of fact.

Hopefully your system will pass and you will be able to generate electricity without spending the big bucks.

Comment

• tjames
      • Jul 2013

I hear you about inspectors. I've taken one to challenge before. I just called his boss and read him the building code. The inspector was wrong, I was right and that was the end of it. That's why I like the details.

My understanding is that the panels simply need to be labeled for double checking computations. I've talked to my power company, the author of the IEEE 1547, and have read the NEC Article 690 and have not met with anything that says I can't use my own panels. That's today. Could change tomorrow.

And don't get me wrong SunEagle- I am quite grateful for you bringing me where you have thus far.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I hear you about inspectors. I've taken one to challenge before. I just called his boss and read him the building code. The inspector was wrong, I was right and that was the end of it. That's why I like the details.

My understanding is that the panels simply need to be labeled for double checking computations. I've talked to my power company, the author of the IEEE 1547, and have read the NEC Article 690 and have not met with anything that says I can't use my own panels. That's today. Could change tomorrow.

And don't get me wrong SunEagle- I am quite grateful for you bringing me where you have thus far.
        Your welcome. Hope everything works out for you and your panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Some awfully impressive videos out there vacuum bagging the EVA / cell / glass sandwich, then heating in a simple 215F oven. Tedlar on the back. I'm not thinking they will leak when done properly. .....
          If you don't pull a vacuum, you get air bubbles/pockets. With voids (as they are called) you get spaces moisture can accumulate. When you get moisture, the cells die and all your work is lost. All the work is to keep moisture from condensing and killing the cells. Maybe a properly vented panel/hot box will stay dry, and then you just worry about oxidation on the cells & tabbing wires.

for a single panel/micro-inverter, under 90V, the fire danger is pretty low. But the higher you take the voltage, the more chance odd things will happen to the setup. And with no UL cert, your insurance, does not exist, if there ever was a fire. Even if the certified toaster catches a pop tart on fire, if the investigators find a DIY PV panel, it's all your loss.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• tjames
            • Jul 2013

Thanks- The plan is for Silicone vac bag and vacuum pump. In a simple convection oven at a maintained ~220F. I agree with you.

Each panel connected with M215 Enphase micro inverters, so no fires.

It's all about risk / reward (factoring in both time and cost). Once I decide on the cost of glass, I'll have a look at the hard panel cost. The $60 starting point for the binned cells in a panel is interesting.

Comment

Working...