Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can we use ordinary lamination film roll for solar cell encapsulation instead of EVA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Danial freeland I have great difficulty believing you made a solar panel 15 yrs ago and its still on the roof and fully functional.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Sunny Solar View Post
      Danial freeland I have great difficulty believing you made a solar panel 15 yrs ago and its still on the roof and fully functional.
      Maybe it was under the roof of his pole barn and protected from the elements which is why it lasted so long.

      It would interesting to see what the panel looks like then and now.

      Comment


      • #18
        I find the hardest part to believe he only used silicone to seal the cells between 2 sheets of glass.. Silicone is just NOT100% waterproof..; it would be very prone well before now to let in tiny amounts of moisture. The death of the cells connections. At 15 yrs that's getting close to the useful life span of silicone sealant under ideal conditions..

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Sunny Solar View Post
          I find the hardest part to believe he only used silicone to seal the cells between 2 sheets of glass.. Silicone is just NOT100% waterproof..; it would be very prone well before now to let in tiny amounts of moisture. The death of the cells connections. At 15 yrs that's getting close to the useful life span of silicone sealant under ideal conditions..
          Even if the panel was installed in a very dry part of the country that silicone sealant will end up failing after so many years in the sun and any moisture would find a way inside. Anything is possible but a 15 year DIY panel seems to stretch the imagination a little.

          Comment


          • #20
            https://www.abcoffice.com/office-equ...m-made-out-of/

            question is how the pet layer will respond to heat and sunlight...

            flaking might be ok, just peel it off, but expansion and contraction would not (plexi/acrylic)

            --

            industry matches the bottom line, not necessarily the best tech.

            diy can do better...usually for much less.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by HadrianKross View Post
              ....question is how the pet layer will respond to heat and sunlight.........
              I think you are going to build one, and report your results back in 2 years.

              The Glass, EVA, PV, EVA and Tedlar layers are pretty much standard, and proven with 20+ years UV resistance. Other plastics are not nearly as UV tolerant as EVA. Any flaking will cause shadows and shadows are reduced output.

              I've had antenna tower signs laminated and they last just over a year before the stuff cracks and leaks
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

              solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

              Comment


              • #22
                no, I'll continue to research and not waste half the thread on information I can find in 15 seconds...hence the link.

                plus trial and error is the most rudamentary, time consuming, and lossy in terms of testing.

                --

                another "possible" would be to find a way to remove the PET layer before, or shortly after, the lamination process... still probably much cheaper; though whether that would effect the laminator is unknown--could always go with the heat gun...

                As lamination is in terms of microns (fractions of?), is there a recommended minimum thickness for EVA from those 20+ year "experts"??

                --

                Wonder how the new innovations in solar are effecting their bottom line?

                H.K.
                Last edited by HadrianKross; 09-19-2019, 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by HadrianKross View Post
                  ...........

                  As lamination is in terms of microns (fractions of?), is there a recommended minimum thickness for EVA from those 20+ year "experts"??
                  You would have to ask the Chinese. While they may have stolen some of the initial technology 30 years ago, they also poured a lot of money into research and development 15 years ago.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    they're mostly into flex and amorphous.

                    I'll wait until the price drops significantly on that.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X