Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaiman
    • Mar 2013

a different idea for encapsulation

Hi again still haven't attempted my solar but mind is ticking over and thought I'd throw an idea out for some comments.
    What would the down sides of a EVA bag vaccuumed onto the array and sealed with the likes of home food storage system,before being heated to the needed temterature if the film on the front of the modules had minimal effect on output,it would enhance the unit being weatherproof.
    If it saves the need of building a vaccuum unit,and it would be easier to get the heat onto the film to cure it,if it warms and shrinks with heat must be a sort of plastic so if one can find a sealer wide enough it should work.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Jaiman
    Hi again still haven't attempted my solar but mind is ticking over and thought I'd throw an idea out for some comments.
    What would the down sides of a EVA bag vaccuumed onto the array and sealed with the likes of home food storage system,before being heated to the needed temterature if the film on the front of the modules had minimal effect on output,it would enhance the unit being weatherproof.
    If it saves the need of building a vaccuum unit,and it would be easier to get the heat onto the film to cure it,if it warms and shrinks with heat must be a sort of plastic so if one can find a sealer wide enough it should work.
    There is a difference between pulling a vacuum on an assembly once versus holding a vacuum on it as it is heated and outgasses or moves around.

PS: I would guess that an EVA bag the size of a solar panel might be pretty expensive too.
    Last edited by inetdog; 03-28-2013, 11:04 PM. Reason: PS:
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Naptown
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2011

However what you really need to do is include the glass within the vacuum bag typical layup is glass- eva- cells eva-backsheet
      Essentially you are gluing the cells to the glass and eliminating a potential air gap that will cause a reflectance from the backside of the glass.
      NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• green
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2012

I like the way you think Jaiman. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I've tried a few different encapsulation techniques and I'm not to thrilled with any so far. Each has it's advantages and it's drawbacks and difficulties as well as differing costs. Find what works best for you as well as what will last in the elements.

Comment

• Jaiman
          • Mar 2013

Pulling on a vaccum/sealing the unit

Originally posted by inetdog
          There is a difference between pulling a vacuum on an assembly once versus holding a vacuum on it as it is heated and outgasses or moves around.

PS: I would guess that an EVA bag the size of a solar panel might be pretty expensive too.
          Just a thought,and maybe I should make myself a little clearer some years ago I worked as a baker and we had a machine with an element under teflon tape for sealing plastic (the teflon to stop it sticking),I visualise pulling vaccum on to unit sealing it then applying enough heat to cure EVA
          The cost may well be offset by the extra energy gathered with no air bubbles.
          A possibility exists for doing say a 36 module panel in four lots of nine (it would be easier to fit them into food sized bags and use the sealing unit to seal)then attaching them as needed for your requirements voltage wise
          I think its worth a try so will do a few few to see what happens first (and post some results)

Comment

Working...