Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arond
    • Mar 2013

Why use glass at all? Isn't PVA enough?

Hello, I have a question about DIY solar that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere else, it seems that good solar performance could be obtained using just PVA (Edit: EVA) or UV stabilized epoxy encapsulation alone so why use glass at all? It seems to me that all glass does is add weight, cost and heat retention. Opinions? Thanks, Aron
    Last edited by arond; 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by arond
    Hello, I have a question about DIY solar that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere else, it seems that good solar performance could be obtained using just PVA or UV stabilized epoxy encapsulation alone so why use glass at all? It seems to me that all glass does is add weight, cost and heat retention. Opinions? Thanks, Aron
    It adds rigidity, which is necessary since the cells are brittle and fragile.
    That same rigidity can help reduce flexing from wind loads when only the edges are supported.
    It adds protection from mechanical damage (hail, birds, nuts, etc.)
    A thick enough layer of epoxy to provide protection will cost a lot more than glass and will absorb or reflect more light.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• arond
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
      It adds rigidity, which is necessary since the cells are brittle and fragile.
      That same rigidity can help reduce flexing from wind loads when only the edges are supported.
      It adds protection from mechanical damage (hail, birds, nuts, etc.)
      A thick enough layer of epoxy to provide protection will cost a lot more than glass and will absorb or reflect more light.
      True, I was thinking for rigidity the mechanical backing could be solid aluminum or fiberglass composite, I've seen solar shingles that appear to only use eva film rated for 20+ year life so I assume mechanical damage must be minimal for them. With the right mix of plastics it seems it would be feasible to go glass free somehow. thanks for your input

edit: here's a site that makes glass free panels, I'm not sure how they do it or what the cost is: sunshineworks.com/thin-solar-panels. (edit: somebody broke the link, for those wondering the product was "Neutron 123 Watt Glass Free Thin Solar Panels")
      Last edited by arond; 03-26-2013, 01:07 AM. Reason: clarified what the broken link was

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by arond
        I've seen solar shingles that appear to only use eva film rated for 20+ year life so I assume mechanical damage must be minimal for them. With the right mix of plastics it seems it would be feasible to go glass free somehow. thanks for your input
        So far the experience with solar shingles has been pretty unsatisfactory. Either they are too hard to install, not durable enough or do not maintain their output well enough. The first marketers of these gave up after awhile. There is now an attempt to get the product going again, but it is not clear yet what, if anything, is different.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Naptown
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2011

Those appear to be an accident waiting to happen.
          No approvals, listing or warranty noted.
          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...