Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickyD_pero
    • Mar 2022

Question/Concern with no AFCI Breakers and NEC

I just had solar panels with battery storage installed.
    The solar company installed a subpanel on the exterior wall directly through the exterior wall from my Main Breaker panel which is inside my garage.
    We chose 6 circuits totaling 100 amps (2 - 20 amp; 4 - 15 amp) to be connected to the subpanel and ultimately connected to the solar battery.
    The four 15-amp circuits were originally connected to combination AFCI/GFCI breakers in my Main Breaker panel.
    In the subpanel there are 6 breakers for these circuits (2 - 20 amp; 4 -15 amp).
    The four 15-amp breakers installed in the subpanel did not have any AFCI protection and the system failed inspection (rightfully so in my judgement).
    The solar company told me that "supply chain" issues were making it very hard for them to find AFCI breakers for this Siemens subpanel.
    It was 5 weeks waiting for this issue to be remedied. I called and emailed several times. I spoke to the solar company owner.
    He re-iterated the "supply chain" issues and he also stated he was concerned that if AFCI breakers were installed they would create issues
    for the "Enphase IQ Combiner 4" communicating with the cloud.
    This week the solar company came back and installed GFCI breakers on these four 15-amp circuits in the subpanel.
    The systems passed inspection.
    I am concerned that there is no AFCI protection on these circuits.
    Am I right to be concerned? If so, how do I get the inspector to also be concerned and get AFCI breakers on these circuits?
    Lastly the "Enphase IQ Combiner 4" communication issues caused by AFCI breakers; is this a real concern?
    If so, would it not be remedied by using filters/chokes?
    I am uncomfortable that there is no AFCI protection on those circuits but possibly there is an exception in the NEC for solar systems.
    I appreciate any guidance given.
    Thanks
    Last edited by RickyD_pero; 07-30-2022, 05:49 PM.
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

The supply chain issues your installer is talking about is no joke. The electrical industry is having huge problems. Not sure if it is because factories are closed or due to a housing boom. The typical 200A service panel of any brand is basically unobtainable these days. Don't sweat the AFCI breakers - they have a history of being aggravating due to false trips anyway.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...