X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Takis
    • Oct 2019

Inverter cc batteries distance

Hello friends,
    i'be recently bought flooded batteries. My concern is about the damage (if any) the battery gases cause to the inverter/cc.
    Air circulation is fine.

i planning to connect them with less than a meter wire almost 4 awg.

Should I have to isolate inverter and cc ?
    Should I have to use longer wires ?
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Takis
    Hello friends,
    i'be recently bought flooded batteries. My concern is about the damage (if any) the battery gases cause to the inverter/cc.
    Air circulation is fine.

i planning to connect them with less than a meter wire almost 4 awg.

Should I have to isolate inverter and cc ?
    Should I have to use longer wires ?
    I think isolating and venting a battery compartment to an area where that airflow won't affect the inverter and cc would be sufficient. If moving them farther away is more practical then you may want to calculate how much resistance has risen and increase wire size accordingly. I don't think the hydrogen gas is the issue for corrosion but it is the bubbling through the acid that could cause that acid to aerosolize. Hydrogen is explosive so in any case good ventilation is important for safety reasons.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

when you walk into the battery room at noon while the batteries are charging hard, and you smell something sharp and sulfurous, that's acid mist in the air and it WILL corrode electronics.
      It will do it in the winter and summer. That's why many folks use a vented battery box, to keep the fumes out of the electronics.

( note to self: Reasons 26, 27 for NiFe batteries, no corrosive fumes or mist on terminals)
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Takis
        • Oct 2019

Thank you both

Comment

Working...