Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gatorback
    • Jan 2020

Inverter Trouble Shooting

A SB6000U Sunny Boy inverter returns energy into the electric grid: reducing the electric bill significantly. The system has stopped returning into the grid. I am asked to begin the troubleshooting process remotely. System was installed in 2007 and has performed well through the years.Photos of the inverter error messages were taken today (below). There are three boxes:
    DC Disconnect box (left of inverter)
    Inverter ("Sunny Boy")

AC Disconnect box (right of inverter)

Error messages include:
    Disturbance GFDI Fuse Open

E-Today 0.00kWh

Questions:

1) Can any conclusions / hypotheses be drawn from existing observations? Fuse is "blown"?
    2) What other additional troubleshooting observations would be helpful in understanding the root cause of the failure?

Any relevant lessons-learned or landmines-to-avoid are appreciated. Thank you

Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/S9mKQZYHtaLC8bUx6

• Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

I looked up a GFDI and it implied something wrong with the solar PV side. That is consistent with the fuse message but I don't understand why the inverter is still reporting voltage. Maybe the GFDI fuse is after the voltage measurement in the inverter. Just thinking out loud. I think you have enough data to call the manufacturer or look in the manual to see if there is a user serviceable fuse inside.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

The expected life of a 2007 vintage SMA inverter is not much more than 10 years. They were only warrantied for 5. I've had to replace a number of them already. Do call the SMA tech support by phone and they will help you confirm what the error messages mean. If this is the model I'm thinking of, the GFDI fuse is accessible at the bottom by just unscrewing the fuse holder. It is a special type fuse however.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Working...