Wiring from remote shop to house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring from remote shop to house

Im going to build a 60x40 shop and it will be located about 150 foot from my house electric meter

im going to put 40, 350 watt panels on the shop and most of the power will be used in my house

going to be grid tied

i have net metering and want to tie the house and shop into one meter that is located on the house

the question is should I run ac from the shop to the house or dc and put the inverters at the house
    about 150 ft of wire
    Last edited by rheathern; 05-28-2018, 10:21 PM.

My friend down the street put 400A service in the shop, then ran 200A from there to
    his house, to avoid a second meter. Seems to work well. Bruce Roe

Comment

Thanks
      my question got cut off so I edited it

Comment

Whichever voltage is the highest and that likely is DC.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Putting your panels, inverters, and meter at the shop will maximize solar efficiency and
          possibly avoid voltage problems. But wiring to the house needs to be adequate.
          Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
            Putting your panels, inverters, and meter at the shop will maximize solar efficiency and
            possibly avoid voltage problems. But wiring to the house needs to be adequate.
            Bruce Roe
            I would think a 200A feeder being run 150 feet may cost a pretty penny depending on the soil type and how hard it would be to trench down 24 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I would think a 200A feeder being run 150 feet may cost a pretty penny depending on the soil type and
              how hard it would be to trench down 24 inches.
              Right, but will need to be done to run on a single meter regardless of location. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
              X