No announcement yet.

MPPT recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last stupid question. If the 20v nominal panels are not supplying enough current to charge my batteries correctly, should the PWM CC be maxed out at 30V? I have to use what I've got until I can replace the batteries and get an MPPT CC. That could be a month or more. Thx

Comment

Voltage isn't what charges your batteries, current is. If you series wire your panels the voltage will increase but the current will remain the same. End result you wont get any more charging than you would from a single panel with a PWM controller. In the meantime you need to keep the panels in parallel. Once you get an MPPT controller , then series wire the panels.
      Last edited by littleharbor; 05-25-2018, 12:11 PM.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
        Voltage isn't what charges your batteries, current is. If you series wire your panels the voltage will increase but the current will remain the same.
        The current will drop. For example, if he goes from 9P to 2S4P his current will drop by 60%.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
          The current will drop. For example, if he goes from 9P to 2S4P his current will drop by 60%.
          Should have elaborated a bit more. Series wiring all panels would result in the same current as a SINGLE panel, into a PWM controller.
          Now that I read back my first statement is a bit confusing, unless you were reading my MIND as well. Oops! My bad.,
          Thanks for the catch.

Comment

OK Suprasoup.. I'm obviously looking for the best controller at the best price.. Ebay has a few in the $200-$400 range. Anyone used the Mablestar from Amazon. I could afford that and it doesn't look like junk....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40A-50A-60A...pAfOXhFqfIrCxw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80A-MPPT-So...MAAOSw9gRZ~AGc

https://www.amazon.com/Mabelstar-Sol...rge+controller

Comment

Anyone used the Mablestar 80A MPPT from Amazon?

Comment

Originally posted by douglasjett View Post
                Anyone used the Mablestar 80A MPPT from Amazon?
                I have never heard of a Mablestar CC before. The pictures on the website does not give me a lot of confidence that it is an MPPT type.

I would be careful to determine if it is a true MPPT type CC before you purchase it.

Comment

Originally posted by douglasjett View Post
                  Because Sunking... Someone sold me all this garbage as a kit, a guy in Phoenix. I had no idea what I was getting and trusted the dude.. ooops

But, in his defense his name was Budget and the price was right. I just had no idea that meant the whole thing would be toast in 6 months... again ooops
                  OK time to fix all the mistakes. You have done everything wrong in the past, and your plan so far is to repeat the same mistakes. Example with your panel wattage of 2300 watts, is beyond 24 volt battery. Time to move up to 48 volt battery. It will save you a lot of money and 400% more efficient. To start with all you need is a 45 amp MPPT Charge Controller.

Next get rid of that nightmare foolish 9 panels in parallel to 3S3P arrangement.

As for batteries use 8 x 6-volt 400 to 500 AH batteries.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                    I have never heard of a Mablestar CC before.
                    But it has the "Build-in MPPT tracker for operatizing the power transformation" so it must be legit. After all they wouldn't claim it was operatizing unless it was for reel!

Comment

Can't find max Voc. on any of them.

Comment

Quick math of Sunking's recommendation of 48v system 400ah bats looks like about $4K, I'm not sure how this helps when the budget is closer to $1100.. So, my idea at this point is try and find a midnite solar 150 for less than $500, buy 8 new batteries, wire the panels in 3S3P. Then stick with 24v until I have more money. Hopefully I can get 3 years out of the 24v system.

Comment

Try this
                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/MidNite-Sol...19.m1438.l2649

Comment

Working...
                          X