Substrate and backing material for aluminium panels.....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaitanyapunde
    • Feb 2011

Substrate and backing material for aluminium panels.....

Hi,

I have tried a lot to search what is the material that you use as the substrate where you attach your cells and the panel backing in case of an aliminium frame. Kindly assist me. I would prefer non wood materials as it rains a lot here in India and wood wouldnt be a good material for rains.

Thank You,
    Chaitanya Punde.
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Hi Chaitanypunde - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

One of our DIY types should be along with a response to your query.

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• chaitanyapunde
      • Feb 2011

Hi,
      I am trying to make an Aluminium frame solar photovoltaic panel. I havent started to make it as yet as I am still trying to collect the material I require. I just want to know what do we use as a panel backing and substrate where we attach the cells in case of a Aluminium Panel. Please assist.

Comment

• landslide03
        • Mar 2011

I see alot of people using FRP paneling, it stands for fiberglass reinforced plastic. Home depot and lowes sells them for about $30 for a 4x8 sheet. I think i am going to use them on my panels. I hope this helps!

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

I hope so too! Good Luck
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• martinjsto
            • Nov 2010

hi

I think you are best to use low iron glass if you can get it,it is toughened and opticaly the best for solar applications, you can get it from old rooftop solar hot water systems you just cannot cut it.
            just silicon the aluminium frame around the glass, flip over and either lay your stringed cells face down on the glass and pour the sylgard over top, spread and let it run under the cells. once dry thats it, nothing else needed. you may get air bubble issues and you will learn how to minimise or remove them as you go along. i am going to make a pool of sylgard on the glass first then lay my stings into it and do the final buss wire solder once dry, you can always coat these with sylgard later. hopefully no bubbles.
            if your frame is of decent aluminium of at least 1 inch x 1 ind and either welded or bolted together it will be strong enough once all is set and you will not need any substrate.
            you can always sandwich the cells between EVA layers and lamminate together under vacuum and heat if you have a lamination/vacuum setup large enough, thats how all the profesional pannels are made, with just an aluminium frame around it, the EVA is the substrate and top cover in one. (i think there is a slight difference with the materials used with the top and bottom layer)
            hope this helps.
            Martin

Comment

• multipanel
              • May 2015

Steel materials are the better one for aluminium panel back up which is not effecting or damaging in the rain.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by multipanel
                Steel materials are the better one for aluminium panel back up which is not effecting or damaging in the rain.
                Pardon? That made no sense.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...