sizing of blocking diode (and by pass diode)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadeson
    • Jul 2016

sizing of blocking diode (and by pass diode)

Hi everybody
    I am trying to understand how I should size the blocking diods in a system where I aim for 90 volts from panels put in parallell. I would like one blocking diod per string of series. Then there can be 2,3 or 4 strings in parallell. Each string will generate 6-7 Amps. So how do choose blocking diodes? Should the Vrrm be a specific one or should it just be able to withstand 100V and 10 A ?

The next question which I believe I already found the answer to is that the 100w panels that lacks bypass diodes should have a by pass diode that has a Vrrm that at least equals the Vcshorcut
    That is about is about 23V so a Vrrm=25volt ...but that is hard to find so I am guessing I have to choose Vrrm=35V diodes.

Any help is much welcome!

PS the attached picture show 4 panels in series but I am actually as I wrote looking at 5 in series but it is the same principle
    Attached Files
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

forget blocking diodes, most of the the modern charge controllers in the last 30 years provide that function.
    Bypass diodes prevent a panel from being totally shut down from stray shadows and such.
    Here's a link to an article about bypass diodes

good luck
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• shadeson
      • Jul 2016

Great - thanks for your answer.
      Yes I am aware of the built in function in the regulators BUT when you have a system of several groups in parallell (more than the 2 pairs on the picture) could'nt there be dangerous inbalances when shadowing or break down of panels or several panels in one group ?

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by shadeson
        Great - thanks for your answer.
        Yes I am aware of the built in function in the regulators BUT when you have a system of several groups in parallell (more than the 2 pairs on the picture) could'nt there be dangerous inbalances when shadowing or break down of panels or several panels in one group ?
        Even a shaded panel will continue to put out a voltage (at greatly reduced current capability) that will prevent back current from other
        strings. For a failure situation, fuses are required, not blocking diodes. Fuses have the advantage of lower forward drop and a safe
        open circuit failure mode, not a short. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...