AC Combiner Box Location for Micro Inverter System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Combiner Box Location for Micro Inverter System

Laying out my system I am planning a 36 panel system 3 strings of 12. The panels are going to be ground mounted, located around 125-150 feet away from the main power panel. My question is what is the best location of the combiner box for the 3 strings. Should I put the combiner box close to the panels then run the appropriate gauge single pair to the main breaker or should I run 3 pairs, 1 pair from each string to the combiner located closer to the main panel.

IMO the combiner box should be located close to the panels and I would run a single pair of wires to the main panel. You just have to calculate the voltage drop for that 150 ft distance but it probably would be cheaper than running 3 sets sized big enough to handle the voltage drop then one set.

Provide us with the panel specs along with the type micro inverters and we can provide you better solution.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 06-30-2016, 08:57 AM. Reason: corrected my input based on micro inverter being used.

Comment

Originally posted by NetRoamer View Post
      My question is what is the best location of the combiner box for the 3 strings. Should I put the combiner box close to the panels then run the appropriate gauge single pair to the main breaker or should I run 3 pairs, 1 pair from each string to the combiner located closer to the main panel.
      I think either way is fine. As SunEagle points out, you should look at voltage drop / power lost to wire resistance.
      I'd go with whichever is cheaper.
      Most likely that's going to be combine closer to the modules and run 1 set of bigger wires.
      But if you can get the smaller wires for really cheap for some reason (unusual but sometimes there are deals to be had) then it can be cheaper to run 3 smaller pairs and (assuming big enough for the voltage drop) it'd work just as well.

BTW I'd probably look at doing larger aluminum wires from your main to your combiner/subpanel. Most likely that's cheaper than doing it in copper, for the same power / voltage drop. You'll also have to make sure that the connections will be OK for alum. I think most subpanel lugs and larger breakers take alum wires (maybe all are OK for Alum., but I'd check)

Comment

Working...
      X