Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckinnc
    • Jul 2014

What di I need to connect 4 factory built panels in series

I bought 4 240w panels that were setup for 12 v system, I need to connect them in series for a 48 v system. The each panel control box had a wire about 4 foot long with standard solar connector coming from each side of the control box on back of the panel. I did not unhook them so I don't know the hookup, I know they must have been in hooked parallel for 12v.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

panels in series, you simply connect the + and - leads together in the correct sequence. The proper connectors are built into the leads attached to the panels from the factory. Then you have to connect the remaining + and - leads to the disconnect box . It's likely that your situation can't be directed by remote control, and you will either have to learn in a classroom or decent on-line videos, about electricity and how to install solar. It's a bit more complicated than installing a battery into a car that was designed to have a battery.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• chuckinnc
      • Jul 2014

Thanks, all the panels I have are home made, didn't know if these factory panels has built in bypass and blocking diodes or do I need to add them. I looked up the pdf sheet on these but
      the manuf did not include any info on what was in the module or black box on the back.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by chuckinnc
        Thanks, all the panels I have are home made, didn't know if these factory panels has built in bypass and blocking diodes or do I need to add them. I looked up the pdf sheet on these but
        the manuf did not include any info on what was in the module or black box on the back.
        They could not sell them or have them listed without diodes. Otherwise they would be a DIY panel that only last a year or two no one wants.

If these are 240 watt panels, they are not 12 volt battery panels, they are Grid Tied Panels. Very doubtful you can connect them all in series as not many charge controllers can handle that high of an Voc input voltage. They can be used, but not likely like you are thinking. It will require a MPPT charge controller rated for at least 30 amps. You had better do your homework or else failure is in your near future.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• chuckinnc
          • Jul 2014

Yep, didn't realize these were 60 cell and 36 or 72 would have been better for the homeowner. I have read these are optimum for charging a 20v battery not 12 or any multiple of it. I didn't do my homework and it's to late now, but I also only planned on temporary setup to charge my 36v and 48v golf carts when the power grid here dies for a few days.at a time.

Comment

Working...