• Jul 2015

Which panels do you suggest?

Comment

• lkruper
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

Originally posted by Aradia
      Which panels do you suggest?
      Brands are not my forte, but I have seen it discussed here that there are certain name brands that are from very large companies that will likely be here in 10 years when you need to replace an identical panel or 25 years to honor their warranty. Names like Kyocera, Panasonic, Sanyo. The economics of the larger panels are such that you can get a 250w panel for $250, or $1 / w. They are higher voltage and higher amperage and so you do need MPPT to take advantage of them.

The other thing to keep in mind is that these panels are larger and so shipping can be expensive. If you can find a local supplier and pick them up you will save money.

I would also encourage you to read the stickys on this site. They discuss many of the topics you need to master as you build this system.

Comment

• Aradia
        • Jul 2015

thank you

Comment

• lkruper
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

thank you
          BTW I fixed all the units in my previous posts. Also, I saw that when I initially replied to you (when I was not rushed) I correctly calculated your system with 24v and then at the end switch to 12v. I have fixed that too, so that the calcs can be a resource and not too confusing to you and others who might read this later. I would encourage you to make a spreadsheet of all the possible loads and the duration in a 24 hr day you would run them. I have done that and keep on changing it. So I have a column with Y/N and change the formulas in Excel so that I can test many different configurations with different sizes of batteries, chargers, inverters and panels, etc.

I am still not satisfied and I keep changing things. For me, this is a long difficult but fun process.

Comment

• Aradia
            • Jul 2015

I noticed that the tone of a few of the out of left field hostile posts has also been softened some what. I appreciate that as it would put a bad taste in my mouth to have to read that repeatedly while reviewing information. I am sure other readers will appreciate it also. Thank you for that

Comment

• lkruper
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

I noticed that the tone of a few of the out of left field hostile posts has also been softened some what. I appreciate that as it would put a bad taste in my mouth to have to read that repeatedly while reviewing information. I am sure other readers will appreciate it also. Thank you for that
              I don't think I changed the tone... I think you are getting a thicker skin

Comment

• RayO
                • Nov 2015

Hey Aradia, it's been a couple months now. How did your project go? Any buyer's remorse on anything?

I'm shopping around and considering flexible 20w solar panels for maintaining the car battery and charging some devices. Wondered
                what experience other solar enthusiasts are having with them.

-RayO

Comment

• Aradia
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by RayO
                  Hey Aradia, it's been a couple months now. How did your project go? Any buyer's remorse on anything?

I'm shopping around and considering flexible 20w solar panels for maintaining the car battery and charging some devices. Wondered
                  what experience other solar enthusiasts are having with them.

-RayO
                  I connected everything a few days after my last post here and it has been working well ever since with no problems thank goodness.
                  Thank you for asking.

Comment

Working...