No announcement yet.

Charge voltage needed for 24 V system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi ..need a little help .. i have 2 solar panel probably more the 100 watt each the are the same but i don't know the model .
    i have connected them in series to aw solar charge controller CS5024Z to 2 batteries (AGS 200) i don't know whether they are 12 volts or 24 volt .. can you tell me should i connect the panels in series or change it to parallel and also when we need high voltage and when we need high amp.

Comment

I'm just coming into this conversation a bit late but are you saying that A 12v solar panel is unable to charge a 24v battery? thanks for your reply to a newbie in the solar world 🌎

Comment

Originally posted by Anger Managment View Post
        I'm just coming into this conversation a bit late but are you saying that A 12v solar panel is unable to charge a 24v battery? thanks for your reply to a newbie in the solar world 🌎
        Correct. A 12V battery, on occasion, needs 15-16 V for proper charging, A "12v" soalr panel often provides 21V to charge a 12v battery. Run that through a charge controller, and you loose a couple more volts in the controller.

Double all the 12v requirements for a 24v battery

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks for quick answer to my question, here's another from a solar newbie😌 I have purchased a MPPT charge controller and have wired 2 12v panels in series. Open voltage of the panels is 24 v and I'm going to charge 12v battery on a cloudy day like today the voltage of panel array is 9.8v so I am under the voltage to provide a charger to the batteries is this correct? Or will this lower voltage act like a trickle charge? I'm not really sure if this voltage will charge the batteries and with 2 12v batteries does the voltage get split between the batteries?
          I am in the process of purchasing 6 panels from another gentleman who is moving and can't take his system with him, 4 panels are 12v and 2 are 24v with the option to configure them to 12v by removing a diode jumper.
          Would it be better to wire the panels to 12v or 24v ?
          I guess this is more than one question and for that matter not a quick question.
          Thanks in advance

Comment

If your panels are in full sun and aimed, well, I would wire them in series, avoiding the death voltage of the controller.

Small controllers may go to 50V, Mid size 75V, Read the specs carefully for max voltage and the Voc of the panels.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

As previously stated I have the panels wired in series and they are producing 15.4v now with sky clearing. So this should start to charge the batteries I'm hoping

Comment

And what is the death voltage you speak o🤔

Comment

And what is the death voltage you speak o🤔
                  The death voltage would be something that exceeds the rated Maximum DC input voltage rating of the CC.

As Mike stated, the cheaper CC's have lower DC input voltages which can be exceeded if you wire too many panels in series and on a cold morning the voltage spikes beyond what the CC can handle.

Comment

15.4 volts. Sounds like your panels are parallel wired.
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

No wired in series just very overcast and snowing quite a bit when I posted that comment

Comment

In a nutshell. how many panels and what's their Voltage? That's very low voltage for anything over a single 12 volt panel. I've seen panels put out substantial voltage with a towel over them.
                        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

...and have wired 2 12v panels in series. Open voltage of the panels is 24 v
                          A typical 36-cell "12v" solar panel open-circuit voltage will be around 20 volts. If you have two of them in series you should be seeing an open-circuit voltage of over 40 volts, not 24V.

Comment

Agreed but I was just relying on the information on the back of the panels so maybe I will research them further.
                            Thanks for your input though

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
                              A typical 36-cell "12v" solar panel open-circuit voltage will be around 20 volts. If you have two of them in series you should be seeing an open-circuit voltage of over 40 volts, not 24V.
                              how about if someone have 4 x 36-cell 12v panels and wants to charge a 24v battery-bank? What is recommended for wiring the panels and why:
                              2s2p or 2p2s ??

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeF View Post

how about if someone have 4 x 36-cell 12v panels and wants to charge a 24v battery-bank? What is recommended for wiring the panels and why:
                                2s2p or 2p2s ??
                                Probably the easiest wiring set up would be 2s2p.

Comment

Working...
                                X