Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsalla
    • Apr 2015

Connecting Batteries in a Series

I am currently doing investigation before I actually install my system. I have purchased my panels, controller and batteries. I looked at a diagram about how you connect batteries in a series. I have attached the diagram. According to this diagram, you run a wire from a positive terminal to a negative terminal. But if you do that, won't you have all kinds of sparks flying around and won't you damage the batteries?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

John
    Attached Files
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jsalla
    I am currently doing investigation before I actually install my system. I have purchased my panels, controller and batteries. I looked at a diagram about how you connect batteries in a series. I have attached the diagram. According to this diagram, you run a wire from a positive terminal to a negative terminal. But if you do that, won't you have all kinds of sparks flying around and won't you damage the batteries?

John
    The diagram showing the 3 batteries wired in series is correct although not practical based on typical battery voltage. Usually you will have an even number of batteries wired in series not an odd number.

When you wire them in series you add the voltage of each battery. So if that diagram had 3 x 12volt battery the "system" would be 3 x 12 = 36 volts.

What is the voltage and Ah rating of your batteries and what is your estimated daily watt hour load?

Also what is the make and model of solar panels and charge controller?

From that information we can help you determine if you have the correct components to build your system.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

I am currently doing investigation before I actually install my system. I have purchased my panels, controller and batteries.
      You screwed up you should have done your research before you bought anything. You would have discovered what you bought does not work very well.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

John
        Based on your question, I hope you have an experienced person doing the installation.

The answer to your question is, without a completed circuit (loop), no current at all can flow. What the diagram shows is 3 batteries in series, with no completed circuit. If you connect the loose - to the loose +, all kinds of sparks will fly and you may damage something - just as if you did it with a single battery.

All connecting them in series does is increase the voltage potential at the loose ends - in this case by a factor of 3. As someone else pointed out, you would not normally connect 3 batteries in series for a solar application.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Living Large
          All connecting them in series does is increase the voltage potential at the loose ends - in this case by a factor of 3. As someone else pointed out, you would not normally connect 3 batteries in series for a solar application.
          You could if they are 4 or 8 volt batteries. But few people know they exist. Bet you anything this guy is stuck inside a 12 volt box.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
            You screwed up you should have done your research before you bought anything. You would have discovered what you bought does not work very well.
            Do we know what was bought? All that is in evidence is an example of wiring, isn't it?

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Do we know what was bought? All that is in evidence is an example of wiring, isn't it?
              Quote, "I have purchased my panels, controller and batteries."
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

No details on what was purchased. The OP just mentions "panels, controller and batteries" which is little to no help.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
                  No details on what was purchased. The OP just mentions "panels, controller and batteries" which is little to no help.
                  Which is enough info based on he does not even know how to connect batteries. If he has no clue how to connect batteries how do you expect him to know what to buy?
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• jsalla
                    • Apr 2015

Thanks for Nothing

Are you all done criticizing? Not one of you has answered my initial question, but in my book when you run a wire from a positive terminal on a battery to a ground (negative terminal on another battery) things don't go so well.
                    Here isthe info you requested:
                    Jinko jkm235p60 panel 235 watts 7.89 amps
                    20 amp controller made in China
                    2000 watt inverter
                    I returned my batteries and am going to buy new amg batteries
                    J.

Comment

• Living Large
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by russ
                      Quote, "I have purchased my panels, controller and batteries."
                      Yep, and you had no way of knowing which models and capacity, etc.

Comment

• Living Large
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2014

Are you all done criticizing? Not one of you has answered my initial question, but in my book when you run a wire from a positive terminal on a battery to a ground (negative terminal on another battery) things don't go so well.
                        Here isthe info you requested:
                        Jinko jkm235p60 panel 235 watts 7.89 amps
                        20 amp controller made in China
                        2000 watt inverter
                        I returned my batteries and am going to buy new amg batteries
                        J.
                        I answered your question in detail. Please review the thread.

I also attempted to make a constructive statement, which was based on the question you asked. Solar systems can be very dangerous and result in personal and/or property damage. It would benefit you to have an expert construct and wire the system - so wire sizing, connections, equipment, grounding are correct. Beyond that, the system will be sized properly. Just looking out for your $$$ and safety.

Edit Again, just connecting a wire to a negative or positive terminal doesn't cause any current to flow. You could connect anything to either the + or - terminal of a battery, as long as the other terminal is not connected OR not connected to anything that creates a complete circuit. The loose wire on each end means there is no complete circuit.

A "ground" is not the same as the negative terminal of a battery. Think about it. There are batteries sitting there not connected. The negative terminals are not ground - first they have nothing in common, second there is no system yet to have a ground. Furthermore, if you connect the + terminal to a ground rod, or something that represents "ground" in a system, now you have a positive ground. It's all relative, you see.

Comment

• sdold
                          • Jun 2014

in my book when you run a wire from a positive terminal on a battery to a ground (negative terminal on another battery) things don't go so well.
                          when you slide two batteries into a flashlight, you've done the same thing, connecting two 1.5 volt batteries in series to get 3 volts. + of one goes to - of the other.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Nothing happens if you don't have a complete circuit.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Are you all done criticizing? Not one of you has answered my initial question, but in my book when you run a wire from a positive terminal on a battery to a ground (negative terminal on another battery) things don't go so well..
                              All the more reason you should not be working with electricity because you have ZERO understanding.

There is no such thing as GROUND on a battery. You can bond either polarity to a reference point, just not both of them.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...