X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mj52
    • Dec 2014

Soldering: is it a good investment?

Hi,

I'll need to make up a few cables using #8 wire. I have a ratcheting crimper with the appropriate die but am curious if soldeing after crimping is a good idea.

If it is a good idea what type of solder and flux should I use? I have solder and flux with my plumbing stuff but I'm not sure if one is as good as any?

Mike
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by mj52
    Hi,
    I'll need to make up a few cables using #8 wire. I have a ratcheting crimper with the appropriate
    die but am curious if soldeing after crimping is a good idea.

If it is a good idea what type of solder and flux should I use? I have solder and flux with my plumbing
    stuff but I'm not sure if one is as good as any? Mike
    Don't use plumbing solder on electrical equipment. Soldering can be used to rescue a poor quality job, but it
    shouldn't be necessary. It stiffens the wire in the vicinity of the joint. Bruce Roe

Comment

• mj52
      • Dec 2014

Thank You,

I hope I never have to rescue anything but in case what type of solder and flux would you suggest? I thought i read something along the line that some soldering may introduce an acid into the joint and may cause issues? If it doesn't cost an arm and a leg I'll just bag and tag and throw it in the box named Solar

I figure best to ask first.

Mike

Comment

• foo1bar
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Thank You,

I hope I never have to rescue anything but in case what type of solder and flux would you suggest? I thought i read something along the line that some soldering may introduce an acid into the joint and may cause issues? If it doesn't cost an arm and a leg I'll just bag and tag and throw it in the box named Solar
        Plumbing solder is usually an acid flux core.
        Electric solder is usually rosin flux core.
        You should be able to find electric solder at Radio Shack or Home Depot or other similar stores. (I just looked at homedepot.com and see they have 60/40 solder - didn't realize that could still get lead based solder)

The problem I've had when doing larger wires is getting enough heat into the wire in the part to be soldered while not melting the insulation.

Comment

• emartin00
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

If you are using the correct wire, connector, and die you will never have to solder the joint. These connections are designed to hold about 100 pounds (on #8). The connection will last for years. If it isn't crimped correctly, you're better off removing the connector and replacing it with a new, properly crimped on.

Comment

• mj52
            • Dec 2014

Thanks,

I just looked up the cost of rosin solder from an electrical supply house. It isn't cheap.

Soldering isn't an absolute necessity 1lb roll is expensive and I have a proper crimping tool.

On to next item.

Mike

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by emartin00
              If you are using the correct wire, connector, and die you will never have to solder the joint. These connections are designed to hold about 100 pounds (on #8). The connection will last for years. If it isn't crimped correctly, you're better off removing the connector and replacing it with a new, properly crimped on.
              Ditto. Do NOT solder crimped connections. It invalidates the UL listing, and as solder wicks along the wire, it creates a stiff spot that will quickly break with very little vibration or movement.
              But you need a hydraulic crimper or a 48" compression lever to make proper gas tight crimps on #4 and larger wires
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

DO NOT SOLDER. End of story.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• foo1bar
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2014

Thanks,

I just looked up the cost of rosin solder from an electrical supply house. It isn't cheap.
                  Really?

2-4oz (which would last quite a long while) should be under $10.

But the other people's advice on solder wicking up the wire and that being a problem if there's repeated movement on the wire is true.

Comment

• mj52
                    • Dec 2014

I PROMISE,

I'm not going to solder.
                    I bought a good ratcheting crimper and will stick with that.

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Working...