DC Subpanel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Subpanel

I have a couple 100w 12v 6AMP panels. Currently I have combined then in a box using a Bussmann car fuse block. This works very well. Now I have purchased a plug in grid tie and want some options where I can control where the power goes. I was wondering if in my building where the + and - from the panels come in if I could use another Bussmann car fuse block as follows.

Positive coming goes to the + input on the fuse block
    Negative coming in goes to a bus bar which I will have to add
    One of the fuses would have positive going to the charge controller (say Fuse 1)
    Another fuse would have positive going to the grid tie (say Fuse 2)
    The negatives for Fuse 1 and Fuse 2 would come off the bus bar and go to the charge controller and grid tie devices respectively

The questions
    =========
    If Fuse 1 is out and Fuse 2 is in would all power produced go to the grid tie?
    If Fuse 2 is out and Fuse 1 is in would all power go to the charge controller?
    If Fuse 1 and 2 are in would equal power go to the charge controller and the grid tie? Or would the Grid tie pull power in from the batteries (not desired)?

Right now the charge controller dumps power from 10 AM - 4PM and I would like to capture this power. I am ok with having only 1 fuse in but wondered how both would work or not.

Lastly these approach seems like it should work, but I know enough about electricity to dangerous.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by bendegr View Post
    Lastly these approach seems like it should work, but I know enough about electricity to dangerous.

Thanks in advance
    A "plug-in" grid tie is dangerous. Return it if you can, and get your money back. What you want is a hybrid inverter. The system you are proposing will not work with both fuses in. The solar charge controller will attempt to regulate the power coming from the panels, as will your plug-in inverter, if it doesn't burn up first. They would fight each other.

More problems with what you want to do:
    You cannot sell energy back into the grid without the agreement of your power company. You can try, but it won't work.

Even if you got credit for it, the value of the energy generated by 200 W of panels will not be enough to pay for components necessary to do it safely.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

If you have a Smart Meter, you will be discovered for Fraud.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
      X