Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daonlyillwiz
    • Sep 2014

New 2 panel solar array questions...

Hi i just purchased 2 x 260W 8.8A LG solar panels that i plan on using with a battery bank of 4 batteries. Now i dont have much experience with this since i come from a computer/IT and an automotive/mechanical background.

I will be connecting the two panels in series thus generating 520W and 17.6A. I am buying a PWM 30A charge controller that supports up to 650W. Now my questions are as follows:
    1: The charge controller has 3 ports (2 for the panel +/- , 2 for the battery +/-, and 2 for DC stuff +/-). I am confused about where i should hook the inverter up. Should the inverter be connected to the batteries or to the third port on the charge controller for DC stuff?

2: what would be my ideal configuration for the batteries ? a series or parallel connection? I am only going to power a couple outside lights in my backyard and charging my motorcycle over the winter...
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by daonlyillwiz
    Hi i just purchased 2 x 260W 8.8A LG solar panels that i plan on using with a battery bank of 4 batteries. Now i dont have much experience with this since i come from a computer/IT and an automotive/mechanical background.

I will be connecting the two panels in series thus generating 520W and 17.6A. I am buying a PWM 30A charge controller that supports up to 650W. Now my questions are as follows:
    1: The charge controller has 3 ports (2 for the panel +/- , 2 for the battery +/-, and 2 for DC stuff +/-). I am confused about where i should hook the inverter up. Should the inverter be connected to the batteries or to the third port on the charge controller for DC stuff?

2: what would be my ideal configuration for the batteries ? a series or parallel connection? I am only going to power a couple outside lights in my backyard and charging my motorcycle over the winter...
    0. "520W and 17.6A". That would be a Vmp of 30V.
    Putting those panels in series to produce 30V will not increase the charging current to the battery by even a fraction of an amp above what you get from one panel, and will most likely burn out your CC. With those panels in series you have to use an MPPT CC.
    With them in parallel, you will lose some of the panel power anyway and 15V is on the low side to work with a CC to charge lead acid batteries.
    1. Connect the inverter directly to the battery terminals or bus bar. The LOAD connection on the CC is not meant to handle that high current.
    2. Since you have not specified what kind of batteries you want to use, it is hard to answer that question. But if you have a choice between putting several lower voltage batteries in series to get 12V or putting several 12V batteries in parallel to get the capacity you want, choose the series connection every time.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• daonlyillwiz
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
      0. "520W and 17.6A". That would be a Vmp of 30V.
      Putting those panels in series to produce 30V will not increase the charging current to the battery by even a fraction of an amp above what you get from one panel, and will most likely burn out your CC. With those panels in series you have to use an MPPT CC.
      With them in parallel, you will lose some of the panel power anyway and 15V is on the low side to work with a CC to charge lead acid batteries.
      1. Connect the inverter directly to the battery terminals or bus bar. The LOAD connection on the CC is not meant to handle that high current.
      2. Since you have not specified what kind of batteries you want to use, it is hard to answer that question. But if you have a choice between putting several lower voltage batteries in series to get 12V or putting several 12V batteries in parallel to get the capacity you want, choose the series connection every time.

So in my configuration it would be better to connect the panels in parallel vs. series?

1. Thank you for clarifying
      2. I am using 12v deepcycle drycell batteries. so i guess i will be putting these in parallel ?

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

So in my configuration it would be better to connect the panels in parallel vs. series?

1. Thank you for clarifying
        2. I am using 12v deepcycle drycell batteries. so i guess i will be putting these in parallel ?
        Do you also understand that using those 2 x 260watt high voltage (30vdc) panels with a PWM charge controller you are really only getting about 211 watts charging your batteries?

A PWM CC is Amps in = Amps out. So with 17.6amps in x 12volts will get you about 211 watts of charging capacity.

Now a MPPT CC is Watts in = Watts out. So you are now getting almost 100% of that 520 watts to charge your battery.

Comment

• daonlyillwiz
          • Sep 2014

If that is the case then ill get an MPPT controller. So with the panels connected in parallel to the MPPT CC i will get roughly 520W out of the setup. Are there any CC that you recommend or would this suffice:

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Use a MPPT controller and connect the panels in series.

With PWM Input Current = Output Current which is really bad bad bab bad news.It will turn your 520 watt panels into 17 amps x 12 volts = 200 watts.

With MPPT Input Power = Output Power, or Output Current = Panel Wattage / Battery Voltage = 520 watts / 12 volts = 43 amps. You need a minimum 45 amp MPPT controller with 150 Voc input.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

If that is the case then ill get an MPPT controller. So with the panels connected in parallel to the MPPT CC i will get roughly 520W out of the setup. Are there any CC that you recommend or would this suffice:
              http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-2210RN-...rge+controller
              Complete waste of money. What battery voltage?

AGAIN MPPT Output Current = Panel Wattage / Battery Voltage.

If you have 560 watts input and a 12 volt battery will make 43 amps. Buying a cheapo 20 amp MPPT controlle ris a waste of my time and your money. You want a Morningstar TriStar 45 Amp MPPT controller if operating at 12 volt battery, or a 25 amp controller if operating at 24 volt battery.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-2210RN-...rge+controller
                The 520 panel wattage will require a 45 amp charge controller for a 12volt battery so that 20 amp Tracer is too small. You may want to also look at the Morningstar TS MPPT 45amp Tristar.

Comment

• daonlyillwiz
                  • Sep 2014

I have two of those panels. The guy just dropped them off. I found the charge controller you recommended, want to confirm first that it will be fine with these two panels in parallel before i place the order...

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

http://cedgreentechsd.com/wp-content...G260S1K-A3.pdf

I have two of those panels. The guy just dropped them off. I found the charge controller you recommended, want to confirm first that it will be fine with these two panels in parallel before i place the order...
                    Why do you now want to put the panels in parallel? With an MPPT CC, putting them in series will save you wiring expense and complications.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• daonlyillwiz
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
                      Why do you now want to put the panels in parallel? With an MPPT CC, putting them in series will save you wiring expense and complications.
                      I was not aware of this, i initially wanted to put them in series but i thought i would be better off with them in parallel. I will be connecting them in series.

I am a little confused now though because i know that the formula for power is P=VI so if thats the case 520w=31.2*I which means I=16.67A so a 20A CC would suffice. But when we are calculating this we are calculating via the battery voltage (12v) ?

I am a total newb so please forgive me if my questions are a little dumb.

Also if you have any recommendations for me please share. As i said before ill be using this setup to power up a couple outdoor lights for my back yard (all LED) as well as a trickle charger for my motorcycle during the winter time. As i mentioned before i have 4 batteries that i currently plan on hooking up in parallel. If i should hook 2 up in series and hook up the 2 series batteries to each other in parallel to the other two i can do that as well to achieve 24v but i am not 100% sure of what the best route is for my application...

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

http://cedgreentechsd.com/wp-content...G260S1K-A3.pdf

I am a little confused now though because i know that the formula for power is P=VI so if thats the case 520w=31.2*I which means I=16.67A so a 20A CC would suffice. But when we are calculating this we are calculating via the battery voltage (12v) ?

Also if you have any recommendations for me please share. As i said before ill be using this setup to power up a couple outdoor lights for my back yard (all LED) as well as a trickle charger for my motorcycle during the winter time. As i mentioned before i have 4 batteries that i currently plan on hooking up in parallel. If i should hook 2 up in series and hook up the 2 series batteries to each other in parallel to the other two i can do that as well to achieve 24v but i am not 100% sure of what the best route is for my application...
                        First off you wire those panels in series which give you 62.4 volts at 8.34 amps.

Now the reason you need a 45 amp charge controller is the CC output amps rating is based on the total wattage of your panels divided by the battery voltage. So with 520watt for a 12volt battery, that comes to 43.3 amps required on the output of the CC.

You did not provide any information on your back yard lights (wattage, voltage and hours on per night) or the motorcycle trickle charger so it is a little hard to direct you to how to wire your battery system and if it is the right size for your needs. I also did not see anywhere what your 4 x 12volt batteries are rated at in Ah or what is the wattage & voltage rating of the inverter you have to run those lights and trickle charger.

That information is needed to properly build your system.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Oct 2011

I was not aware of this, i initially wanted to put them in series but i thought i would be better off with them in parallel. I will be connecting them in series.

The problem is you ordered panels that were designed to be grid tied instead of charging a 12v battery. They can be used to charge a 12v battery if you use an MPPT controller.

With an PWM controller amp in equals amps out. But with an MPPT controler Amps out equals Array watts divided by battery voltage.

If all you wanted was 17 amps into the battery you should have order 2 - 100W 12v panels. You would have wired them in parrallel with a PWM controller. With the MPPT you will want to wire them in series as long as the string voltage (+ cold weather compinsation) doesn't exceed the input limit of the controller.

Comment

• daonlyillwiz
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                            First off you wire those panels in series which give you 62.4 volts at 8.34 amps.

Now the reason you need a 45 amp charge controller is the CC output amps rating is based on the total wattage of your panels divided by the battery voltage. So with 520watt for a 12volt battery, that comes to 43.3 amps required on the output of the CC.

You did not provide any information on your back yard lights (wattage, voltage and hours on per night) or the motorcycle trickle charger so it is a little hard to direct you to how to wire your battery system and if it is the right size for your needs. I also did not see anywhere what your 4 x 12volt batteries are rated at in Ah or what is the wattage & voltage rating of the inverter you have to run those lights and trickle charger.

That information is needed to properly build your system.
                            I see, thanks for clarifying. My 4 batteries are 12v 35Ah.

If i go with the batteries hooked up in parallel for 12v i will go with the following inverter:

As for the lights, I will have a total of 3 fixtures with 2 bulbs each and the bulbs will be those cree 9.5w lightbulbs. so total consumption will be 57W and the tickle charger is rated for 20W.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2011

Stop!!

Do not hook both panels up to those batteries with an MPPT controller. They can't the amperage.

Use only 1 panel.

Comment

Working...