X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike cyprus
    • Nov 2013

mixing panel voltages

hello

i have completed my own solar panel with 24 cells (0.5v x 24). i would be nice to connect this solar panel to my the rest of my panels and into the home system. the solar panels on the system are 17 - 20 volts. with this descrepency in the two voltages, i know that there will be no damage but i dont know if mixing in a 12v will actually work in helping to charge the batteries.

anyone know the answer?
    thanks
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by mike cyprus
    hello

i have completed my own solar panel with 24 cells (0.5v x 24). i would be nice to connect this solar panel to my the rest of my panels and into the home system. the solar panels on the system are 17 - 20 volts. with this descrepency in the two voltages, i know that there will be no damage but i dont know if mixing in a 12v will actually work in helping to charge the batteries.
    Your DIY panel will only put out about 12V loaded, not enough to charge a 12 V battery. You
    need another 12 cells to allow putting the DIY panels in parallel with the others. Bruce Roe

Comment

• mike cyprus
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
      Your DIY panel will only put out about 12V loaded, not enough to charge a 12 V battery. You
      need another 12 cells to allow putting the DIY panels in parallel with the others. Bruce Roe
      bruce, i am confused by your reply but since english is not my first language, maybe i am not understanding you correctly. i already have a substantial working system and living here, one would never know i was off grid. this DIY panel project was just to build some experience for me and use up some supplies laying around. now that it is done, are you saying that if i hook it to my existing system, it will give no benefit at all?

thanks

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by mike cyprus
        bruce, i am confused by your reply but since english is not my first language, maybe i am not understanding you correctly. i already have a substantial working system and living here, one would never know i was off grid. this DIY panel project was just to build some experience for me and use up some supplies laying around. now that it is done, are you saying that if i hook it to my existing system, it will give no benefit at all?
        The panel you made will not put out enough voltage to efficiently charge a 12V battery. Bruce

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Or in simple terms. To add another panel to your 17 - 20 volt ones, you will need to build a panel with 36 cells to get about 18volt output.

That 12volt 24cell one will not be compatible with the larger panels or even big enough to charge a 12volt battery by itself because you need about 14volts to charge a 12volt battery.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

The panel you made is useless on a 12 volt battery because its voltage is too low. Minimum cell count for 12 volt battery is 36 cells in series to yield 18 volt output. With 24 cells you can only operate 9 volt and less systems.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• mike cyprus
              • Nov 2013

got it. thanks, all

Comment

Working...