Solar if it can, then battery, then wired power?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrenaline1073
    • Apr 2014

Solar if it can, then battery, then wired power?

Hey people, my first time here and I'm searching for an answer to a question. I hope I'm in the right forum. I have a need to run a few items via solar when the sun is out, battery when the sun is down, and regular plugged in power when neither are available. I am not even sure if something exists, or what it's name would be (inhibiting my googling

Essentially it would run some pumps for an aquaponic garden. Just a sump pump, a pond pump, and an air pump and a heater in the winter. Basically I only want these items to run off my grid if needed, ei no more battery and no sun, etc... This would be my first solar project to save a few bucks on my electric with a few power suckers.
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by adrenaline1073
    and regular plugged in power when neither are available.
    The most costly solution you can find - you certainly won't save anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• billvon
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by adrenaline1073
      Hey people, my first time here and I'm searching for an answer to a question. I hope I'm in the right forum. I have a need to run a few items via solar when the sun is out, battery when the sun is down, and regular plugged in power when neither are available. I am not even sure if something exists, or what it's name would be (inhibiting my googling

Essentially it would run some pumps for an aquaponic garden. Just a sump pump, a pond pump, and an air pump and a heater in the winter. Basically I only want these items to run off my grid if needed, ei no more battery and no sun, etc... This would be my first solar project to save a few bucks on my electric with a few power suckers.
      Here's the best way to save money:

1) Fix the power suckers. Reduce the pump head, get more efficient pumps, use a natural gas or propane heaters (and the plants will like the extra CO2.)
      2) If you still want to do more, install a small grid tie system. That way you _always_ use the solar you are generating at peak efficiency, you get any tax credits/deductions and you don't need batteries.

If you still want to do more, you can put in a battery backed system in case of power outages. This will not save you money, but if you risk losing your crop during an outage it might be worthwhile to you.

Comment

Working...