• sarah2014
    • Jan 2014

please help

Mono crystalline type solar panel 100 Watts 2 panels
    Solar Charged Controller 12Volts / 20a
    12v / AC 220v 50 watt led floodlight
    12v / 300 watt inverter
    12V/200AH, Deep Cycle Battery

Wanting to hook up (2) 50 watt led floodlights working 8 hours daily. Do you think the above supplies will give me the wattage i need.

Thank
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sarah2014
    Mono crystalline type solar panel 100 Watts 2 panels
    Solar Charged Controller 12Volts / 20a
    12v / AC 220v 50 watt led floodlight
    12v / 300 watt inverter
    12V/200AH, Deep Cycle Battery

Wanting to hook up (2) 50 watt led floodlights working 8 hours daily. Do you think the above supplies will give me the wattage i need.

Thank
    Not even a remote chance of it working. Not near enough panel wattage, battery capacity, and wrong type of charge controller.

100 watts x 8 hours = 800 watt hours. That means the panels much generate a minimum of 1200 watt hours if using a MPPT controller, or 1600 watt hours if using a cheap PWM controller.

Depending on your location winter Sun Hours can be as low as 1 hour in Washington State along the coast, up to 4 hours in the Arizona desert. In Washington state using PWM would require a 1600 watt panel system with PWM, or as little as 300 watts in Tuscon AZ with a MPPT controller.

As for battery you need 12 volts @ 330 AH.

Inverter is fine.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• sarah2014
      • Jan 2014

I have 2 solar panels 100 watts each= 200 watts

We have 7 hours of sun 200x7= 1400watts so i should have enough wattage (since i actually will be using 800watts daily)

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

We have 7 hours of sun 200x7= 1400watts so i should have enough wattage (since i actually will be using 800watts daily)
        Where is this place? I know of no place on earth that gets a minimum 7 hours year round.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• mapmaker
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2012

We have 7 hours of sun 200x7= 1400watts
          It doesn't work that way. 7 hours of daylight is not the same as 7 hours of full sun. You need more battery and more solar panels for the specified load. Check out the PVwatts website. You can input your location and the tilt and orientation of your panels, and it will tell you how much power you can expect to harvest each month of the year.

--mapmaker
          ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Sarah

As the others have indicated, your panels will not generate 100% power for every hour of sunlight. It will generate only total wattage under perfect lab conditions.

In real life at best you will get less than 100% of the panel wattage and then only during a limited number of useful sunlight hours a day. This is dependent on where you live and what season it is.

Farther North and during the Winter the sun is low in the sky which gets you very few hours of useful sunlight. Farther South and during the Summer gets you more hours but unless you live in a place like Southern California desert or Southern Nevada you will never get close to 7 hours of useful sunlight even in the Summer.

To compensate for less hours to generate power you add more solar panel wattage.

Check out the PVwatts website that mapmaker suggested. It will give you data for where you live and how big a solar panel system you need to install to meet your needs.

Comment

Working...