X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaineUSA
    • Sep 2013

Continuous Charging Issue

[Solar120131008-00178.jpg
    I just installed a MorningStar 30 AMP controller up to my existing system consisting of two 6 volt batteries in series which were new in July. Batteries are 3 feet from the controller. The green charging light (PWM) just keeps blinking even though the batteries show a 13.8 volt charge level. (the voltage shown is solar charging volts) The manual calls this PWM regulation. I would think it would show fully charged and the green light be steady on after several days of full sun.

Is it a problem if the controller is left to continually operate in this mode? Is there a risk the batteries overcharge and gas out all the acid if left for 6 months like this?

(Note: The green charging light is "ON" is this picture, but it is actually blinking)
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

13.8 is the Correct Float Charge voltage.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• FloridaSun
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
      13.8 is the Correct Float Charge voltage.
      The Prostar30A manual states a float of 13.7v so at 13.8v the light would be blinky, show still in absorb. The idiot lights on my morningstars have always seemed a bit flakey, I ignore them and go by the digital display. The yellow blinky (sposed to indicate battery at mid capacity) comes on way too early.

After using .6Kwh this morning, my MS-MPPT-45 voltage display now shows at mid day (battery sense wires connected) charging at 16A absorb, 25.6v but Turnigy power analyzer (between CC and Batts) says 25.69v while a volt meter on battery terminals says 25.7v. It all works fine tho, no probs.

Comment

• MaineUSA
        • Sep 2013

Ok. Many thanks! Will leave as is for the winter.

Comment

Working...