Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicvan0
    • Aug 2013

Repair semi-flexible 12V panel for campervan

Does anyone have any hints about repair of such a panel? I've drilled small holes through the plastic layer so I can measure the voltage across different sets of cells. There must be a break in the circuit somewhere, as the output is zero. I've discovered which half of the panel is faulty in this way, but it's difficult to get a good connection to my voltmeter, to further track down where the strip is broken or if a cell has failed. Does anyone know how to repair a bit of the track once I've found it? And to seal the holes after I've drilled, is car body repair resin a good thing to use?

I've had this panel for about 15 months before it failed. It's Chinese. I have another identical panel in parallel with it, which works fine. I live in the UK.
  • green
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2012

If you can't get the panel apart, there is really no way to fix it. I'd be making sure it wasn't one of the leads coming out of the panel before tearing in too much. They receive most of the wear and tear.

Comment

• nicvan0
      • Aug 2013

Well, I've found out which cell is faulty

[QUOTE=green;83327]If you can't get the panel apart, there is really no way to fix it. I'd be making sure it wasn't one of the leads coming out of the panel before tearing in too much. They receive most of the wear and tear.[/QUOTE
      I found out which cell is faulty by sticking a pair of hot pins into the tabbing wire at various places and measuring the voltage; now I'm having trouble soldering a wire to bypass the bad cell. Any hints, anyone?

Comment

• nicvan0
        • Aug 2013

I've fixed it now, thanks!

Originally posted by sunluxled
        To be Honest,I don't get it .Maybe you can try another LEDs
        Er... to be honest, I don't quite get your reply either! There are no LEDs involved here. I managed to short out one of the cells (the faulty one) in the solar panel, by soldering a wire to the connectors. Thanks, anyway, all who replied to my problem.

Comment

Working...