Connect loads directly to battery or charge controller? Whats the best way to do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miles
    • Jul 2013

Connect loads directly to battery or charge controller? Whats the best way to do?

Hi to all
    i have 8 panels approx 1960 Watts which are charging 6 x 12 v 100Ah SLA batteries in a 24Volt configuration & running approx 20-25A in 24V loads.

My charge controller has connectors for PV, Battery & load.....

my question... is there any benefit to connecting the load to the load connectors in the charge controller or am i better off connecting directly to the batteries?

The reason i am asking is that it doesnt seem to make any difference if i connect my load to CC or battery directly...

If i connect my load to the controller it doesnt seem to feed the battery & load separately it all seems interconnected so as the battery voltage rises as its charging so the load voltage rises? Everyting seems the same whether i connect my load to my CC or just connect load directly to my battery.

Is there a right / wrong place to connect my load?

I am looking to buy an MPPT controller and have noticed some controllers only have connections for PV & Battery i guess in this case there is no choice? or is this a rubbish controller?

any advice welcomed
    thanks in advance
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by miles
    Hi to all
    i have 8 panels approx 1960 Watts which are charging 6 x 12 v 100Ah SLA batteries in a 24Volt configuration & running approx 20-25A in 24V loads.

My charge controller has connectors for PV, Battery & load.....

my question... is there any benefit to connecting the load to the load connectors in the charge controller or am i better off connecting directly to the batteries?

The reason i am asking is that it doesnt seem to make any difference if i connect my load to CC or battery directly...

If i connect my load to the controller it doesnt seem to feed the battery & load separately it all seems interconnected so as the battery voltage rises as its charging so the load voltage rises? Everyting seems the same whether i connect my load to my CC or just connect load directly to my battery.

Is there a right / wrong place to connect my load?

I am looking to buy an MPPT controller and have noticed some controllers only have connections for PV & Battery i guess in this case there is no choice? or is this a rubbish controller?

any advice welcomed
    thanks in advance
    Usually the "load" terminals on a controller are for very low wattage items like a small 15 watt DC lamp. It is always best to connect your DC load to the battery. Or if you have AC loads then connect the inverter to the battery on the same terminals as the CC.

Comment

• sdold
      • Jun 2014

Is it possible that the "Load" connection includes a low voltage disconnect?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by sdold
        Is it possible that the "Load" connection includes a low voltage disconnect?
        It would a natural assumption, but maybe that was reserved for a advanced version. Read the manual.. And it's easy to fry the Load terminals/relay/transistor with too large of a load, generally it can only drive a couple watts.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sdold
          • Jun 2014

I need to start checking dates before replying to posts. The last two were over a year old.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sdold
            I need to start checking dates before replying to posts. The last two were over a year old.
            Sometimes we miss the target! No problem!
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...